network queries.

Schonza

I just finished setting up my home network, and was wondering why certain things are happening.

First of all, before I start, I'll show you the way it is set up.

network.jpg

Now, I'll head into what's happening. The first thing, is that both comps and the 360 are able to access the net. Now, all 3 of these devices are set on static ips. However, I am unable to share files between my computers, nor can I ping either comp from the other, so in other words my comp can't ping my dad's and vice versa. Also, on my computer, when the network connection is on, it is only running at 10 mbps, while dad's is running at 100mbps. Why would this be happening?

ghost

it is only running at 10 mbps, while dad's is running at 100mbps
May be the NIC in your PC.

I am unable to share files between my computers, nor can I ping either comp from the other, so in other words my comp can't ping my dad's and vice versa.
Thats probably the firewall in the modem blocking access from one PC to another.

anand1

If you are using windows than setup small home or office network on each PC. This will search for every computer on ur network and help to share Printer and File as well.

The Qban

by default, your computer will not be able to see other computers on the network or workgroup. You have to set it up to allow this. Though i dont recommond this unless you buy a firewall router, to filter incoming traffic from external sources.
you can run the small office network wizard, or just as easily, install a certain protocol in your NIC to allow that access you need. In here you can also find out why your access says 10mb.
Migrate to your NIC and open up the properties of it. if you have windows. open up my computer and on the left side you should see the network icon. click on view connections and you will see you local area conneciton. Right click it and hit properties. You will see where it says this connection allows the following items. You need to have "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" protocol installed, if not, then install it. by clicking the add button
to veirfy why you are on 10mbs. click the configure button above the protocls window. In this window box, in the advanced tab you can check your speed and duplex, set it to auto.
do this and let us know what you see.

Schonza

by default, your computer will not be able to see other computers on the network or workgroup. You have to set it up to allow this. Though i dont recommond this unless you buy a firewall router, to filter incoming traffic from external sources.
you can run the small office network wizard, or just as easily, install a certain protocol in your NIC to allow that access you need. In here you can also find out why your access says 10mb.
Migrate to your NIC and open up the properties of it. if you have windows. open up my computer and on the left side you should see the network icon. click on view connections and you will see you local area conneciton. Right click it and hit properties. You will see where it says this connection allows the following items. You need to have "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" protocol installed, if not, then install it. by clicking the add button
to veirfy why you are on 10mbs. click the configure button above the protocls window. In this window box, in the advanced tab you can check your speed and duplex, set it to auto.
do this and let us know what you see.

Well, I think I sourced the NIC speed problem back to the hub in my room, I used the other hub in it's place, along with running different cables to my room. That yeilded no results, but when I run the cable from the other hub directly into my computer, I got 100mbps. I'll go get another hub some time soon. I'm in the process in setting up the network, and I'll let you guys know how it goes. Also, will I be able to see my 360 on the network?

Camper

Upgrade your Hubs to Switches. Hubs normally run at 10mb and share bandwidth between the network where switches keep each line on it own 100mb broadcast domain. Thats a short explanation of the difference between Hubs and Switches without bringing the OSI model into it.

The Hub in the other room might be a switch.

Schonza

Upgrade your Hubs to Switches. Hubs normally run at 10mb and share bandwidth between the network where switches keep each line on it own 100mb broadcast domain. Thats a short explanation of the difference between Hubs and Switches without bringing the OSI model into it.

The Hub in the other room might be a switch.

The other one is a switch. Thanks. :)

The Qban

yeah, you need to change all your hubs to switches. Hubs broadcast all network traffic to every port on the hub. no matter if that network traffic was destined to the computer on that port or not. Its kinda like a passive network switch. A switch, is smart, it will laern the Mac address of the computer on each port and only forward packets destined to taht port. It minimizes collisions and increases speed. Most hubs do come in 10mbs. Only because the amount of collisions will be increases with faster speed. Change your hub to a swtich. That will fix your problem. Your 360 should be seen by default once you install the correct protocol required. (the windows internet and file sharing protocol in your NIC)

Nafis

hiii

Dear
i have a qeus:

That i want to network pc to pc without internet connaction but i didn't find how to do it .

please tell me how can i got information about that

The Qban

Dear
i have a qeus:

That i want to network pc to pc without internet connaction but i didn't find how to do it .

if you have a switch, use that. if not, but both comps have wifi, use ad-hoc mode and connect to each other.

Camper

Dear
i have a qeus:

Tell us what you need to network and we will be glad to help. I myself would like to keep our conversations on the forum so that everyone can benefit. For a network to work each computer needs a Network Interface Card or NIC. There are two major types of Nic's wired or wireless. Most Desktop PC come with Wired NICs and most new Laptops come with both Wired and Wireless NICs. For wired networking you will need to connect each Nic using a Cat 5, or Cat 6 cables to a Hub or preferably a Switch. For Wireless you will need to buy wireless NICs for any PC that does not have any and you will need an access point for these devices so there will be a link between them. Now for each computer to be able to talk to each other you will need to configure static IP address for each computer. Unless you bought a router or you have a computer that can act as a DHCP Server. To set up static IP address you will need to tell us what Operating Systems you are running.