Network Router Configuration !!Job on the line!!

Tod

Hi. Thank you so much for reading!

A DSL modem/router went bad at my work, so I was installing a replacement. I got it plugged in and the internal network seemed to be working fine. However, I couldn't access the internet from the server that was plugged directly into the router. I checked the servers IP configuration and it has a static IP address of 192.168.1.10 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

However the router defaults to the 192.168.0.1 address. So the reason I assume it can't connect to the internet is they are on different logical networks. I plugged my laptop into the router and internet worked. Then I tried changing the router LAN address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. Still the server couldn't connect to the internet. Next I tried changing the server to dynamic addressing and it could then connect to the internet, but then the time clocks (for employee punch in/out) wouldn't operate with the server.

So my question is this:
How do I configure the router to work on the 192.168.1.x network? Do I have to change DHCP too?

I could land a job as the admin here if I can figure this out.
Any advise is much appreciated.

bmigga

Are the auto addresses on the DHCP server set to .0.x or .1.x?

If they are .0.x try setting them as static addresses to .1.x. Unfortunately this means you'll probably have to check most of the devices on your network to make sure 1.They are all on the same logical network, and 2. Make sure the internet and all the importnat features work.

I don't deal much with time clocks so I can't help you there. Is there a role dealing with the time clocks at your work?

Tod

Thanks for responding!
I realized that there old router was a linksys witch defaults to the 1.1 gateway. The new router is an actiontec (gt724-wg) witch defaults to the 0.1 gateway. So on the actiontec I changed the lan address to 1.1, then tried to change the dhcp range to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 and hit apply but it went back to 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 without applying. But still the server should work with its static a address without the proper dhcp setting I though.

I think the timeclocks are tied to the static server address so changing the servers' static address or changing it to dynamic addressing isn't really an option.