Network Sharing & Backup

soundsfearsome

Hello group:

I am not sure if this is the correct location for this thread, but I couldn't really find a definite place for it.

Problem:

I have approximately 260gb of personal files (photos, audio, video, etc) that I want to share on the network so that my wife (desktop user) can access the same files at any given time as I can (laptop user). We want to be able to email, modify, and backup the contents on a regular basis. Also, I don't want to lose files or have duplicates.

Also, I want to backup those files. In the past I have used third party software such as Nero to backup my files, but it is becoming more difficult now that I have moved entirely to a laptop, not a desktop.

I have a home network that consists of a desktop running XP Home, a wireless laptop running Windows 7, and a wireless printer. The desktop has a capacity of 250gb, laptop 350gb. In addition to this I also have two external drives: 1 T and 500gb. Neither the desktop nor the laptop has a capacity to store the files reasonably, so I am leaning towards the external drives I have. I have also considered online storage, but from what I have read that is an option that is best suited as a backup, backup and not a primary backup.

Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to share the files on my network AND be able to back them up as well?

I am not a computer expert by any means, but am an experienced end user. :)

Impr3ssiv3

what i would do is put all the files you want stored on the external and plug that into your desktop that is hardlined into the network. Then you can share those files and be able to access them from other computers on the network