network transfer

wolfeking

banned
Okay, I am trying to save files on a failing hard drive. Ubuntu reads the drives as "failure eminent". Got the file folders all copied off teh drive and in the "documents" folder that is on the C drive. Easy enough.

Okay, now to get them back to my desktop. Should be easy, but I am a network idiot. How can I get the computer to see my other one. I know it is not as simple as just being on the same network, I already tried that. The Ubuntu M90 can see the desktop (wolfePC), but I cant log on. I double clicked it and it asked for password, so I entered the 32 character winodows login password, and it said unable to logon. So is there a different password to get in the networking section or something?

I know windows can not read EXT4, so I can not simply put the hard drive in the desktop to use it. :(

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
So all your files are now in your Ubuntu machine and your Windows machine is separate and you need to transfer the files over the network?

The user name and password should be the same you use to log on to Windows, are you sure you have the right user name? I'm pretty sure that with my cheap netbook where my default user name was "gfgf" I kept having to use that for network even though I changed the profile name, maybe something similar has happened here? Or my memory could be just crapping on me again, that's entirely possible too. I rarely do Windows-Linux networking so I'm not that good there... do you know if file sharing between Windows machines works normally? If not (or you just can't test), check if in your networking settings you have enabled file sharing and possibly try not-pasword-protected-file-sharing (should be easy enough to do, but I really can't remember off the top of my head... the setting should be there, anyway).

On your M90, do you have Windows installed (or any free unpartitioned space on the hard drive)? As a last resort, you could just try dumping all your files on the Windows partition (or make yourself a FAT32/NTFS one) and then chuck the disc into your desktop.

wolfeking

banned
The drive on the M90 is salvaged from my D630 (no longer showing video at all) and is Ubuntu exclusive.

In the network tab under 10.04.3 on the M90 is showing Home-PC, Windows Network (a folder) and Wolfe-PC (should be my desktop). When I click on wolfe-pc it shows ADMIN$, C$ and D$ (makes since as teh desktop has 2 partitions) and when I click it says User: Wolfe Domain: Workgroup and ask for the password, and it is not accepting the password.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Explore2fs can let you access ext2 and ext3 file systems from within Windows.

I under stand that Linux-Reader can do the same, plus ext4 file systems, but I have not tried this program, so I can't say how well it works.

wolfeking

banned
okay, I have tried using the XP that is normally on the M90, and trying to access it from the desktop nets an error. Can someone help here?
Untitled-99.jpg

wolfeking

banned
I am getting ready to give up on it and just go onto the desktop with the Ubuntu drive and manually transfer it.

I disabled both firewalls. I can get it to ask for the user name and password. I know the user is Daryl, but I have never set up a password for it. :( so not sure what to do. I can also see the desktop from the M90, and log into it, but I will show you whats wrong with that.
untitled-100.jpg

not sure how to put a file on the system, if I can't see any folders or anything on the system. Im afraid that if i put the files in there that they will just vanish into the network and not actually get to the desktop.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Have you actually shared any of the folders? On the machine to which you're dumping the files, you'll have to share a folder (or you could share an entire drive, but that's usually not recommended for security reasons, though I don't think it matters for a local home network) - just right-click the folder on the computer and go to sharing, of if there is no such option (there should be IIRC), go to properties and then the sharing tab. If you have shared any of the folders, just double-check the sharing settings to make sure you're not denying your laptop access somehow.

Doesn't leaving the password field just blank work? If not, I suppose you could set one up now...

wolfeking

banned
I have not tried to share it that way. Right now what I am doing is assembling the desktop with the Ubuntu drive in it so I can just copy drive to drive the same way I did normally on the M90. Leave the networking for the smart types that understand it.

wolfeking

banned
That was easy. less than 10 minutes to transfer a compressed 8 GB (was 29.5 GB before compression) including teh time it took to wire up the drive and unwire it.