Networked Hard Drive

knightrider

Hi I was wondering if anybody knew whether a network hard drive could allow wireless access, I mean could you connect it to a port on a wireless router and then access it that way? The thing is that I've got a Laptop aswell as a pc so it kind of defeats the object of having the laptop if I have to connect it via cable to get access to the networked HD. :(

Any help would be much appreciated....:D

Lectrician

Yes, if you get a networked storage device, such as a Buffallo Linkstation or similar, you connect this to your LAN (plug it into the router), and then can access any files on your laptop or PC.

You can also share your files and printers between the laptop and PC - I am sure you know this!

I used a linkstation for ages before fitting a fully fledged server, I used it so keep my email .pst file on so I could open my outlook email database on both machines, and also altered the explorer favorites path to one on the linkstation so my internet favorites where listed identically on both machines - if I added one on one machine, it appeared on the other.

Many linkstations also allow you to plug your USB printer into it if you want to share the printer and be able to print with out leaving a PC on. Of course, a networked printer would be far better!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I have considered getting a Network Attached Storage(NAS) myself. Some are basically external hard drives that have networking ports on them. Others are more advanced with RAID features and all. However, if you just need to share a few files, it's pretty simple to setup a share between two computers on the same network as mentioned

knightrider

I understand what you guys are saying and I appreciate your help, but the last comment was what I was looking for, basically I'm getting a 500GB external hardrive and I'm going to hardwire it in to my PC and then also connect one of the ports to my wireless router so it's on my network both ways and then I should be able to access it wirelessly shouldn't I....

Thanks guys:D

Lectrician

Yes, if you share it you can access it - AS LONG AS THE HOST MACHINE IS ON!

If this is a new buy, go for a networked one such as a Buffallo Linkstation. You don't need to leave a machine on then!