Networking 2 computers through a switch

Woz

Hi, im a completely new to this so I hope u can help me!?!

I have 2 WINXP machines and want to share the Broadband connection. I have boought some STRAIGHT cable, and a switch to do this. Here is what I have doen so far:

1. Ethenet cable plugged in from the back of the NTL cable modem into the 1st port on the switch

2. Another Ethernet cable plugged in the 2nd port into the back of the main computer.

3. 3rd Ethernet cable going from the 2nd PC into the 3rd port of the switch.

I can get the Internet on the main PC but not the 2nd.

What haven't done, I no its gonna be something stupid but can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance

Warren

silver 95

first of all, find out if your internet provider can give you 2 static ip addresses. if they can then just put those in and use those. If your internet provider uses dynamic addressing, the you'll need to either find out if you can get another one, or by a router. with a router, you could plug the internet into it, giving it one ip address, and then the router will give each computer internal network addresses so you wouldn't need live internet ip addresses. with a switch, you'll need 2 different addresses, one for each computer

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
And some/most DSL services ... you dont need a router for. Often that separate private IP address is not free