Networking Issue, but read carefully

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Servers' started by Rod Bishop, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

I have a problem with an extra router turned extension hub. I'm using a Centurylink router that works fine and I reconfigured a second router to extend my network to a dead spot in my home.

If I only have one PC plugged in the first router and have the cat-5 cable to my second second router all in great, including the PC in the spare room, everything works.

But If I plug another PC (My wife's) in to the first router with with my PC, or two PC's in the first router and a PC in the second router, The connection is lost to the second PC.

The same thing happens if the second PC (My wife's) is plugged in the first router, with the second router cable PC also plugged in the first router, and all is working great, When I plug in my PC cable in to the first router the signal is lost again.

As long as Only one PC is plugged into the first router with the cable to the second router with that PC, everything works great.

How can I get two PC's to work in the first router and the second router cat-5 cable plugged in also?

The second router is a quest modem redone as a extension router.

Again, As long as Only one PC is plugged into the first router with the cable to the second router with that PC, everything works great.

2. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

Do you have just one router giving out DHCP addresses? Because that's how it should be, and sounds like you may be encountering some kind of IP conflict when a second PC joins the network.

3. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

Yes only the first router is set to DHCP. When only one PC is plugged into the first router the second router's PC works fine.

4. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a physical topology? What kind of IPs do the computers get out of router 1?

Kind of sounds like to me that it's not behind NAT at all.

5. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

Also if two PC's are on the internet in router one, and working fine, when I plug in the cable which feeds the second router into the first router, one of the two PC's plugged in before will be disconnected from the internet.

6. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a dhcp issue to me. Or possibly a bad router after so many connections, which can happen.

7. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

Both routers are less than a year old, but if one could create the issues I having would you think it would be the main router?

8. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

That's about the equivalent of troubleshooting as throwing a dart at a spinning board while blindfolded.