networking my house

webmaster.jacob

I have a problem. i'm wanting to network my house. i am running a dsl modem. and i have a belkin cable/dsl gateway router it works fine getting all the computers online but i am wanting to run the internet throw one computer and make it send the internet to the other computers. what should i do?

p.s. sorry for my spelling i dont spell good sorry!!!!!!!!

Viking

how far away are all the PC's from the router
does the router have wireless
can you run cat 5 cable

webmaster.jacob

i have all the computer run to the router with cat 5 cable i mean they all can get on the internet and every thing but i want them to go throw my computer to get the internet its my kids and they think they can stay up all night and i want to beable to cut my computer off and the internet be off or something along those lines do u get what im saying?

Viking

Ummm yes you could you would have to buy a hub or a switch, use ICS and it may not work really good. When they are all on YOUR bandwith will be terrible, so surfing the net FOR YOU will be like dial up:eek:

here is a more practicle way. Get a D-LINK DI 624 WI FI router. The router has the option to cut off users at certain times, not allowing them to access to the net
here is the page for set up from the router
you probably will either want to give them a static ip or use the mac address of their pc nic. your router may have this option too

router.jpg

Last edited:

sloojoe

networking

viking is right. not a viable solution to your problem because you will end up suffering the most. Along with using a router that limits access, you can also buy software (ZoneAlarm firewall) and simply go to there computer and stop all internet activity and protect your settings with a password. Thats assuming they aren't intelligent enough to figure out the work arounds. Either way, there are many solutions to your problem that will not affect your computer or cause to much headaches.

ps. get some good earplugs cause when you cut your kids off... ha ha

joe

curtains

u could use a bridge connection its good i donno if u have duel network cards thou i use it and it works fine. ur kids computer wont be able 2 go on net if ur computers not on thou.

Trizoy

VIP Member
You can cut off the use of ANY ports after a certain time in a router.. that would block them.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You can cut off the use of ANY ports after a certain time in a router.. that would block them.
Just make sure to put a password on the router and make sure they cant have physical access to the router... :)

webmaster.jacob

r u sure they could restart and then be able to get back on because my router only as 4 ips it sends out and no matter how many times i restart the ips inside my network do not change now the modem changes all the time but the routers ips dont

tlarkin

VIP Member
r u sure they could restart and then be able to get back on because my router only as 4 ips it sends out and no matter how many times i restart the ips inside my network do not change now the modem changes all the time but the routers ips dont

DHCP IPs have a lease time and if the server can remember what mac had the ip typically every time you reboot you will get the same IP on a small network because of the lease time. You have a few options here, the least paniful would be to get a decent router that supports some good third party firmware. Look at the access restrictions my rotuer has with third party firmware, I can set up to 10 policies for users like: Restricting access time (like no internet between 9pm and 6am), disable the reset button, block out certain websites or block out keywords, restrict access of applications that want to access the internet, etc.

ddwrt2.jpg

ddwrt1.jpg

Your other option would be a proxy server, and set up the user policy that way which would be a lot more work but at the same time give you more options.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Jacob-

To accomplish what i was saying you need to load the dd-wrt firmware on a linksys or buffalo router (or a broadcom based one) and simply make custom policies for your kids computers via their mac address.

For more info I would visit

www.dd-wrt.com and check out their wiki page for a list of fully supported routers. Personally I own the Linksys WRT54GL and have no complaints other than I wish it had more ram so I could load apps in it. I would suggest making sure you can get the most ram for your buck too. That is one feature a lot of routers do not list, and if you want to load third party firmware on your router the more memory you have the more stuff you can do. Since the open source firmware runs a linux kernel you could technically run linux apps on your router. Ones that may allow to do more controlling than just what the firmware does.

webmaster.jacob

ok i see all the lested but wich would u say is the best? over all lets say u wanted to upgrade no matter the cost which would u go with?
and the thing is i dont want to go wireless

Last edited: