Networking NOvice

lman

Hi all, let me appologize for starting the most boring thread ever. I am trying to figure out how fast my connection speed is and how to speed it up. I have a somewhat high tech. ability, I built my own system, and overclocked it (just a little). but when it comes to networking, I am totaly lost. I have Cox cable internet, a Netgeat wireless N adapter and a D-link DIR 615 router. Where can I see exactly what my connection speed is and how do I make it faster?

System:
Intel E8400
Asus P5Q Pro MB.
8 gigs of Mushkin 1066.
HIS 4850 sonic edition GPU

aviation_man

Hi all, let me appologize for starting the most boring thread ever. I am trying to figure out how fast my connection speed is and how to speed it up. I have a somewhat high tech. ability, I built my own system, and overclocked it (just a little). but when it comes to networking, I am totaly lost. I have Cox cable internet, a Netgeat wireless N adapter and a D-link DIR 615 router. Where can I see exactly what my connection speed is and how do I make it faster?

System:
Intel E8400
Asus P5Q Pro MB.
8 gigs of Mushkin 1066.
HIS 4850 sonic edition GPU

I used to be lost when it came to networking, turns out networking is something I like to do :D

Anyway. You can test your connection speed at www.speakeasy.net (down to the bottom of the page where it says "speed test") or www.speedtest.net and install that.

As for making it faster, there are a number of things that you can do. I'd say google it and search around. If you have firefox, I know that there are somethings you can disable. http://www.pctipsbox.com/firefox-can-be-faster-4-easy-tricks/ Those are some tricks that you can do to make your firefox faster.

lman

Ok speed test said 20593 kbps download and 2826 up load, is that a reasonable speed or is that slower then normal?