networking problem

dfg43

Hello Forum people,

I am trying to setup a friends network for a desktop using Vista and a netbook acer aspire aoa 150 using XP.

The desktop is using a router and can connect to the internet and browse websites and do everything else, but when i try to connect the notebook it does not connect via wireless connection. All the drivers up to date.

On the desktop in the Network & Sharing Center, Network Discovery & File Sharing is on.

I have looked up about networking computers and tried but cant get it worked out.

Derek.

Last edited:

strollin

Is the router a wifi router?

Does the notebook have a LAN port? Does it work if you connect the notebook via cable to the router?

What happens when you try to connect the laptop via wifi, does it 'see' the router but can't connect or what?

ITDon

Are trying to connect to the internet using the router as an acess point? if yes, then it must be wi-fi and if it is wi-fi make sure the method of ip addressing of the laptop matches that of the router settings, that is, if IP of laptop is obtained automatically, then DHCP should be enabled in the router settings.
hope this helps

dfg43

strollin thanks for the reply.

The router is a netgear wifi router and the notebook does have a LAN port. The router is the link below.

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/wired-routers-and-modems/wired-routers/DG834.aspx

I have not tried to connect the notebook via cable to the router yet. It does see the router but does not connect.

I did try to connect the notebook using my pocket wifi and it worked. link below to show you what a pocket wifi is if you dont already know.

http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/wireless-internet/mobile-broadband/wireless-modems/pocket-wifi/

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Are you sure the WiFi radio on the notebook is turned on? What is the exact model of the notebook we're working with here?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yes the wifi is turned on the notebook, and it is a acer aspire aoa 150.

What happened was i formatted the notebook and since i did that the internet wont work. But before i formatted it the internet did work.

And the driver is installed? Check the device manager.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Shouldn't be. If everything is configured correctly you should be able to see the network and connect. I seriously think the radio might be disabled. 9/10 times that's the problem.

dfg43

The wifi light does flash on and off so i think it is on, but i could be wrong. What i read is that both computers have to have the same comp name and in Network & Sharing Center, Network Discovery & File Sharing on.

The notebook has service pack 2 installed, does it need service pack 3.

Is there anything else that needs to be done ?

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Both computers do not need the same name to share files, I can tell you that.

So when you go into the wireless network manager you don't see any wireless network names?

dfg43

It does see the desktop network name.

And if i click on connect and type in the passphrase it says acquiring network address. sometimes it says connected but cant load any pages. And sometimes it does not connect.

strollin

Before the Workgroup name comes in to play or file sharing and other networking functions, you need to be able to connect to the router. You said "if i click on connect and type in the passphrase it says acquiring network address. sometimes it says connected but cant load any pages. And sometimes it does not connect." You need to solve this problem first, it needs to be able to reliably connect to the router and acquire an IP address before you can do anything else.

Since you can sometimes get connected, that means the question of whether the wifi adapter is turned on is answered and should also mean you have the correct passphrase. Try opening a command prompt and run the command "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and post the results here.

dfg43

strollin, i`ll have to go around to my friends place later, and what i will post the results off ipconfig /all. Then you maybe able to work it out hopefully.

And i will check that they have the same workgroup name, but not the same computer name.

Last edited:

dfg43

Notebook ipconfig/all

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ad
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4E-7E-68-15

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast E
thernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-8B-31-5E-0A

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yeah you don't seem to be fully connected. Did you put the passkey in correctly?

tremmor

Would like to try. Im confused because he's working on two different problems and he might be getting confused. Networking does require a same name work group and a computer name on each computer for the lan side. Workgroup might be homenetwork on each computer in the network. A computer name for each. Laptop, mycomputer, garage, what ever. Does not have any thing to do with connecting wireless.

For the wireless ya need to if using in the router encryption and secure you need to install the password. Try turning off the encryption temporarily and see if you can connect. If not i would think you have a problem on the laptop and not connecting properly. Either not turned on or not connecting properly. The wireless needs to be turned on. you should be able to see all connections available. drag the connection that is open to the laptop. Should be in the system tray (right bottom). If it works then turn the encryption back on and password protect it then enter the password for the connection on the laptop.

dfg43

voyagerfan99, yes i put the passkey in correct.

tremmor, i will turn of the encryption temporarily and see if it connects.