Networking Problem!

steam_guy14

The computer in question is running Windows XP Home. It used to run on our network until last night. Now it cannot find it's IP Address... This computer is hooked up to a cable modem and router, the modem and router are fine (they have been tested using another computer). The "IPCONFIG" does not work... a DOS window just flashes on screen and disappears. The system restore has no other restore points that I haven't aready tried (only two days, yesterday and today). Can anyone help me with this???

CL

dave597

VIP Member
run 'cmd' then run 'ipconfig'.

ipconfig /all (to see whats going on)

Then... (in that order)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Anyway that is the generic thing i would try if i have that problem. Anything else I would read up a how to in networking. :)

Last edited:

dave597

VIP Member
oh cool. :) long story - i found it trying to fix my own network connection a while back, didnt know what was wrong - so i sat in waterstones reading half a network troubleshooting guide for dummies or something simliar and downloaded a few progs of the net to see if they would work. :p

samstown22

ok...my computer cant find its IP either...and heres the kicker...cant renew either...tried it a few times. whats wrong, and how do i fix it?!?!?