networking problems-slow pcs/etc! Please help

XtremepballerX

Hi, so at work we have a small network (5 pcs) used to do the invoices. But lately they are all extremly small, They all have bit defender/kaspersky and they have most HD space available. I also took out junk programs/defrag/Registry clean/etc and they are still the same. So what would be my main problem? im thinking that the server pc isnt actually the server pc. So how can you know that? im using hamachi btw. Thanks any things I could do to make them faster?

Lmk if you need any other details and thanks in adavance :D!:good:

jspears80

All 5 computers are slow? Did this happen all at once? Are you talking about network speeed or each local machines speed?

Id recommend reading a book on basic networking and on hbow computers operate. Deleting physical storage doesn't really speed up a computer. There is a difference between storage and memory. Deleting stuff on your harddrive is just storage. Clearing up what is in memory or ram is accomplished by removing programs and services at startup. Use msconfig in the run prompt to set thbese. If the slowdown is network related then I would need more information. If you don't know what your server is or how the network is setup then again I would seriouslyb educate yourself further if your managing these devices.

XtremepballerX

Yea thanks, I know that , and yea pcs are fine but when we use the network supported program to make sales its really slow. Ill read that thanks

thesam101

Yea thanks, I know that , and yea pcs are fine but when we use the network supported program to make sales its really slow. Ill read that thanks

Tough to say without tests, but sounds like packet loss.

If the line has alot of traffic, whether from overhead or actual usage, collisions can occur between the packets being sent on the network and they can corrupt or cause errors in those packets, meaning they must be re-sent from the source computer (this obviously takes more time, and thus a network can be slow if it is happening frequently)

I would ping another computer on the network (open command prompt, start>run> type cmd, and type 'ping' then the ip address of another computer (not the one you are using) on the network. It will then basically message that computer a few times, and tell you if any packets were lost while doing it.

Incase you don't know, easiest way to find the IP Address of a computer is again to use command prompt, start>run> type cmd, then type ipconfig. Should be under Ipv4 Address or something of the like. :)

mrbals

hello.obviously from ur statement the pc's are fine.i suggest u consider pinging the computers for good connectivity .secondly depending on the network devices u r using on your small network 'intranet"i guess.the link speed should not be less than 100mb/s if the cables used is utp cat 5 cable.u shuld consider installing terminal services if u r using a windows network operating system.this should improve the use of the application on your network.