Networking problems with printing

ChinaRosesZ

I have two computes that share one printer. Let's call this computer A and computer B. The printer is hooked up straight to computer A, so whenever computer B wants to print a document, I have to always go to My Network Places, and select Computers Near Me, and then double click on Computer A to enter in the username and password before I can print. I was wondering if there is anyway that I can just print from computer B with no hassles as described above.

Any feedbacks would be appriaceted, thanks :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Control Panel->Printers and Faxes->Add a Printer. That should bring up a wizard, follow the instructions and it should get everything set up for you

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Cromewell said:
Control Panel->Printers and Faxes->Add a Printer. That should bring up a wizard, follow the instructions and it should get everything set up for you
Run the wizard on the computer without the connected printer. Within the wizard it will allow you to set up a "network printer or a printer attached to another computer". Then you can browse for a printer or manually add a printer. If you browse it will give you a list of connected printers select the one you want and then whether or not you want it to be the default printer.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
SFR said:
Run the wizard on the computer without the connected printer. Within the wizard it will allow you to set up a "network printer or a printer attached to another computer".
I guess I should have specified that, but thought it was self evident :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Cromewell said:
I guess I should have specified that, but thought it was self evident :)
If there is one thing I have learned about helping people with computer problems is if you are going to charge them... get them to pay you before you fix their computer.

...oh and step by step procedures saves them (and you) the hassle of having to explain things in more detail later on.......

ChinaRosesZ

Already done from the very beginning. In order to have it print at all, I had to run the wizard on the computer that is not connected to the printer. I also set the printer from computer A as a default on computer B (the not connected to printer one). However, when I try to print the first time booting up my computer, it sometimes says sever not a available, or the status of the printer is not connected. I then browsed the network to check for computers near me, did the same procedure as I described above, and then it would print.

Now, why the hell do you have to keep on browse the network and get connected every time you try to print? So inconvient, however you spell inconvient. I even disabled the administrator from having to enter a password when loggin on computer A, but every time I try to print, I have to browse the network, enter a security password in order to access computer A's printer, and then print. And this is everytime I reboot.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Explain again how computer "A" and "B" are connected.

Are they connected via a crossover cable, a hub, a router?

I believe the problem is you are having trouble keeping a constant local network. Also... in your network connections, in the "local network connection properties" .. make sure "file and print sharing for Microsoft Networking" is installed and working.

wensk

How are the sharing properties set on in My Network Places for Computer A for the printer? What OS are we talking here? What type of network setup?