Networking Windows 7 Computers

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have two desktops with Windows 7. They are attached to a Linksys wireless router (hardwired)

How do I go about networking them to share the printer and documents, etc. I tried the "Homegroup" thing, but couldn't connect to the other computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gareth

To share documents, right click on the folder you want to share, properties, sharing, advanced sharing, check the "share this folder" box, then press permissions, select the permissions you want, apply, o.k, o.k, then close all settings, go to the computer you want to share with. On that computer type in explorer

\\(host computer name)\(folder name)

eg: Mine is

\\gareth-pc\home network

and enter the credentials for the host PC.

Printing is pretty much the same too.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
For others that may stumble upon this, be sure the two computers have different names :)

techdude

For others that may stumble upon this, be sure the two computers have different names :)

Conflict of hostnames cause either one or both of the computers to not be able to use the network. Once heard a story about a tech at a high school who accidentially named all of the computers in a computer lab the same thing. One computer would work perfectly fine, but the second someone logged into a second none of the computers would work.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Conflict of hostnames cause either one or both of the computers to not be able to use the network. Once heard a story about a tech at a high school who accidentially named all of the computers in a computer lab the same thing. One computer would work perfectly fine, but the second someone logged into a second none of the computers would work.

Well at work, I set new machines with the username "Owner" so Vista and Win7 make it into Owner-PC :)