New 2 Ubuntu

Gravegun

I am trying to expand beyond Windows... I have had multiple recommendations for using Ubuntu! I am use to dealing with ISO files and mounting and dealing with them in other ways. However, I am not so use to burning DvDs period. My friend gave me a burnt version of Ubuntu 7.10 and I think its Live Disk. I have tried it in this dell "Latitude/D600" and I cant get it to boot to the disk. I was just wondering if there was some certain what I have to burn it, or some certain DVD-R disk I need to buy? Or if theres a certain version of Ubuntu 7.10 I need to get? oh buy the way I used infrarecorder to burn it.

diroga

did you set the laptop to boot from cd/dvd drive from within BIOS?
Try opening the disk when i windows to look around and see if there is anytihing on the disk. Have your friend try booting the disk on his computer to see that the disk is good.

lion149

I had the same problem, apparently there are issues with burning it to a cd cause it is an ISO file. So i just orderd the CD from the website. Of course it free but it takes 6 weeks. Worth it though to know you have a good copy of the OS.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
When burning a Live CD, it's preferable to burn the .iso at the slowest speed allowed by your burner. DeepBurner is a great burning utility for Windows.

Gravegun

did you set the laptop to boot from cd/dvd drive from within BIOS?
Try opening the disk when i windows to look around and see if there is anytihing on the disk. Have your friend try booting the disk on his computer to see that the disk is good.

Indeed I did made it first on the boot. Alright I am going to check out those burning programs.

Motoxrdude

When burning a Live CD, it's preferable to burn the .iso at the slowest speed allowed by your burner. DeepBurner is a great burning utility for Windows.
x2.
Try deepburner free edition and burn the ISO as an Image and not the file itself. When you install deepburner you will see three options and i beleive it's the last one on the list.
You can use other burning programs, just make sure to burn them as the image and not the file itself.