New 2500k-based rig

double-dragon

Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted here, but it's also been a while since I had a desktop. I have been running a Vaio-AW11Z for the past few years and, as much as I love some of the features on it, I have decided it's time for an upgrade!

I am moving back to desktop to get back into OCing (and all that fun stuff) and for a number of games which are to be release in the near future (Skyrim, GWs2, BF3 etc).

So, after racking my brain and watching/reading countless reviews on bits of kit I pretty much settled on this rig:

Intel core i5-2500k CPU
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 Mobo
Zotac GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GFX
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4) 1600Mhz DDR3
Crucial 64GB SSD
WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD
Corsair 850W Modular PSU
Zalman CNPS11x CPU Fan
Fractal Design Define XL Case
Lite-On 24x DVDRW
Samsung S24A350 24" Widescreen LED Monitor
Windows 7 OEM
Arctic Cooling F12 Pro 120mm Fan
2x NZXT 140mm Fans

I am pretty much settled on buying this, but just wanted a bit of reassurance from a wider community (i.e. more people than just myself!).
My budget is strictly £1400 and the above comes in at around £1390.

All feedback much appreciated,
Thanks,

d_d

salvage-this

Looks like a solid build. I would change the motherboard to something with the Z68 chipset. That way you can use the extra SSD features if you want. Look into the Gigabyte UD3/UD4 boards.

What you have will work just fine, just tossing out my opinion.

double-dragon

[strike]Do those Gigabyte board have the UEFI Bios that the MSI or Asus boards come with? I was looking forward to that :)[/strike] Nevermind, I found out that it does.

What extra SSD features would I be looking at? I've not had any experience with SSDs to date. I was basically going to use it to house windows and some main games/programs.

Thanks for the speedy reply,

d_d

Last edited:

salvage-this

What extra SSD features would I be looking at? I've not had any experience with SSDs to date. I was basically going to use it to house windows and some main games/programs.

http://www.asipartner.com/ASIAcadem...hatsNewintheZ68Chipset/tabid/779/Default.aspx

That should be able to explain it a bit better than I can.

The P67 and Z68 chipset (AFIK) have the same features except for the extra SSD features. So they will perform the same if you decide that you are not going to use the extras.

double-dragon

http://www.asipartner.com/ASIAcadem...hatsNewintheZ68Chipset/tabid/779/Default.aspx

That should be able to explain it a bit better than I can.

The P67 and Z68 chipset (AFIK) have the same features except for the extra SSD features. So they will perform the same if you decide that you are not going to use the extras.

Wow, that's some really cool technology (ISRT)! I think that may have just swung me in the direction of a Gigabyte board, [strike]but my new question is - Is it worth shelling out the extra £15 for the UD4 over the UD3 model?[/strike] Nevermind, answered my own question, again, with a bit of research. It seems the UD4 has an extra PCI-e 16x slot for SLI/xfire (which I don't plan on doing with the gtx580 being so expensive), so I will go with a UD3 model.

I was also thinking of making a video/time lapse of me building my rig, which I will post on here when done, so watch this space!

Thanks again o/

d_d

Last edited:

jonnyp11

since you said no sli and stuff, the 850 is pure overkill, get like a corsair tx650 or whatever else of good quality around that price-point.

also look at some lian li cases, they are normally the highest quality cases, and tend to have the more bland, sorry but i like lights, styling

double-dragon

since you said no sli and stuff, the 850 is pure overkill, get like a corsair tx650 or whatever else of good quality around that price-point.

Thanks for the tip there. I can save a bit of money by going for the AX650 PSU and get increased stability at higher loads thanks to its Gold certification.

also look at some lian li cases, they are normally the highest quality cases, and tend to have the more bland, sorry but i like lights, styling

I have to say, however, I will be sticking to the Define XL. I love how it looks and nothing from the Lian Li range, that I've seen, can match the style or price.

Thanks once again,

d_d

jonnyp11

the stability and loads won't increase with a gold one, just the psu efficiency as far as i know.

and just offering other ones, corsair 600t's, free shipping makes same price + mail in rebates, lian li armorsuit, and haf 932.