New 2TB Barracuda HHD will show up in BIOS and device manager but not disc manager

colson1

I just installed a new 2TB Barracuda drive in my desktop, the drive shows up in the device manager but wont show up in disc manager or seagate disc wizard. Windows drivers are up to date and Seagate doesnt show any drivers available for my hard drive. I have played with the BIOS and swapped SATA cables but still cant get the drive to show up in disc manager to format. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Desktop is a Powerspec G356 stock except for the HHD im trying to format.

Regards,

Corbin

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your bios settings to see if you can enable/disable sata ports. Can you feel the drive running? SATA data cable attached?

colson1

@johnb35

Sata port is enabled, the drive is running, Sata is attached.

The drive is seen in device manager and in properties it says the device is working.

Regards,
Corbin

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you should be able to go into disk management and either initialize if needed or just format it. Can you post a screenshot of disk management?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try plugging it into a different sata port. Something is definitely up with it. Are you using a sata or m.2 ssd? If using an m.2 then sometimes certain sata ports can't be used. It's also possible that there could be something wrong with the seagate drive.

colson1

@johnb35

I have tried another Sata port on the mother board. The computer has a M.2 SSD installed in the M.2 port on the motherboard and I’m adding this 2TB HHD which windows won’t recognize.

I can try another set of sata ports on the mother board for the sea gate. If that doesn’t work then I’ll try to exchange it at micro center.

Regards,
Corbin Olson

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I'm on my pc, i've relooked at the images you posted and noticed that your disk management image, you still need to scroll to the bottom. So there has to be some other drive at the bottom of it.

colson1

@johnb35

No other drive displayed, the drive was bad so i exchanged it and the new one was recognized by windows without issue.

Thank you for the help.

Regards,
Corbin