New Build? Are these parts good

Gamepsyched

Hey all, Recently was having problems with my GTX 460 and ended up fixing it somewhat. But i just Started my plumbing apprenticeship and have some good money coming in, So why not upgrade!!

I will be using existing parts of my current build and these are the new parts i will be purchasing:

Case:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

Card GTX 680:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130780

MOBO:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

From old PC setup will be using 4x2GB ram (8GB) and my I7 860 2.8GHZ CPU

Now a couple questions. Is this MOBO good and will it support all my parts. I have no experience with MOBOS and dont really know anything about them. All i know is I want the 2xPCI express 3.0 for possible SLI setup in the future.

And will My I7-860 support this new GPU. If not what would be a good upgrade.

Thanks in advance

Gamepsyched

Im only upgrading MOBO because i have an ACER computer from bestbuy ive been upgrading... Would it be alright just to use my MOBO i have ?

And, If i wanted to upgrade my CPU too a newer I7 would this board you posted be compatible

wolfeking

banned
What are you planning on using the computer for? If you just want to game (the GTX680 suggest you do) then a i5 is plenty for games.

You need to make a choice of keeping your CPU or upgrading your CPU. You won't be able to do both. Your current i7 has 0 upgradability in the CPU department.

Gamepsyched

0 upgradability? care to explain?

Using the computer for Gaming and Studio recording.

Im just worried about the motherboard in my acer not being able to withhold all the raw power of the GTX 680. I dont know alot about mobos though is it ok to keep using in new build to avoid costs and when i do want to upgrade i can get new MOBO+CPU

wolfeking

banned
There will be no new releases on the LGA1156 (1st generation i3/5/7) socket. You will not be able to upgrade to the 2nd or 3rd generation i3/5/7 if you choose to build around your current i7. If you go to a new i5/7 you will have the same issue. the next generation Haswell chips are on socket 1150. But they do not release for at least 6 months if not more.

spirit

Staff member
If you want a new i7 you need a 2600/K, 2700/K or a 3770/K and an 1155 board.

If you want to build around your i7 860, well I had 1156 once upon a time and I used an ASUS P7P55D-E board, was a great board (even had USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, a rarity for 1156 boards) so I'd recommend you try to get your hands on one of those if you want an 1156 board.

Gamepsyched

Ok so i guess my question is now since I would most likely buy a MOBO+CPU

Can i use the MOBO i have without any problems its a P55 chipset

Only reason i ask because its out of an ACER computer so i dont know if its crappy or not.

wolfeking

banned
your current board is right crappy yes. Acer and other OEM companies don't worry with quality components at all.

If you look to a new build, go with a 3570k and a Z77 motherboard.

spirit

Staff member
Probably not a great board, and if it's from an OEM machine it's likely had it's BIOS locked so you can't upgrade processors and overclock because Acer don't want customers voiding their warranties.

Best to buy a brand new board and CPU.

Gamepsyched

Since you guys are so helpful and quick on the draw, What should i buy then.

A good combo of cost efficiency and Performance would be Nice. Feel free to post some links from newegg. Preferably the .ca canadian site.

And if you have enough time. What is the big difference between the I5 and I7 processors.

I understand the concepts of CPUS but i do not "Overstand" if you know what i mean

spirit

Staff member
i7 has hyper-threading whereas the i5 does not. For gaming and general everyday computing, you do not need hyper-threading. You only need it for professional editing and CAD and stuff.

GA-Z77X-D3H and a 3570K would be great.

Gamepsyched

Lol you guys facebooking together or what?

an one LAST question (I swear) whats the main differences between I3 and I5 , Because if there are MAJOR Performance differences with the I5 i will just spend the extra buck

spirit

Staff member
If you read my post earlier, I already explained the main difference.

spirit said:
i7 has hyper-threading whereas the i5 does not. For gaming and general everyday computing, you do not need hyper-threading. You only need it for professional editing and CAD and stuff.

wolfeking

banned
he is asking about the i3 vs the i5. The i5 has 4 physical cores, while the i3 has 2 cores and hyperthreading which doubles them via some coding magic.

spirit

Staff member
Opps sorry didn't see that. Yeah, again, cores and hyper-threading is the difference. Also remember too that the 3570K can be overclocked whereas the i3 cannot as it is not multiplier unlocked.