New Build... But No Vista

Okala

This may sound wierd but having heard so much negativity about Vista, I decided to build a new computer and installing XP Pro (32 bit).

Actually a friend with a computer store is building it for me...

Intel i7 processor and 6 gig's of memory (1333)

Nvidia 285 graphic card

No sound card... I was told that the mother board already had a great capacity for sound.

I know that XP will only recognize or use up to 4 gigs of ram... but I wanted this computer to be ready for Windows 7... at which time I'll remove XP and install the new product.

Almost all my current software is XP and I was concerned about not finding drivers for Vista 64 bit or the games (waiting for Diablo 3) and just bought
Grid and Burnout Paradise racing games. Far Cry 2 is also on the list to buy.

I'd like anyones opinion on my decision to go with the XP operating system on this computer.

spearlymatt

First of all, get 64bit XP.

Second, if you want Windows Seven, just get Windows Vista, I'm aware that they're eligable for an upgrade. Although you may want to check into that.

leopardforest

First of all, get 64bit XP.

Second, if you want Windows Seven, just get Windows Vista, I'm aware that they're eligable for an upgrade. Although you may want to check into that.

As I do not own Vista (see sig) what is the big difference going to be from Vista to Windows 7? Any other pros potential cons?

thebull

i have vista. and i dont have any problems with it. lots of people just go by heresay and roll with the punches. but i like it

yuki953

WHO SAYS VISTA ISNT GOOD!!!!!!!

vista has so many cool features... IE:
  • Search function IN then start bar
  • Cool layout
  • DirectX 10.1!!!!
  • its VISTA!
  • its MOJAVE
  • there isnt a SINGLE problem with it
  • it seems faster for me...
  • it pwnz
  • it pwnz more
  • read 1 obove.

Gareth

Vista is really needed to make that PC run nicely. XP can't really utilize any more than 2 cores, and XP runs a lot slower on this than Vista does.

Vista is a great operating system. People who give it bad reviews generally have a old computer with not enough memory.

Vista is also mainstream, so its a bit like saying "I got this motherboard with loads of SATA connectors, but I only want IDE". If you get what I mean.

WHO SAYS VISTA ISNT GOOD!!!!!!!

vista has so many cool features... IE:
  • Search function IN then start bar
  • Cool layout
  • DirectX 10.1!!!!
  • its VISTA!
  • its MOJAVE
  • there isnt a SINGLE problem with it
  • it seems faster for me...
  • it pwnz
  • it pwnz more
  • read 1 obove.

Those statements are funny, but true =P

Candy

Seeing as your gonna be upgrading when Windows 7 comes out i dont see the point on wasting the money on Vista. Also you could try and get the Windows 7 Beta off someone and just use that till the final version comes out.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
forget Xp and forget Vista.....get Windows7 when its released,Its not that long away (Fingers crossed).

yuki953

Vista is really needed to make that PC run nicely. XP can't really utilize any more than 2 cores, and XP runs a lot slower on this than Vista does.

Vista is a great operating system. People who give it bad reviews generally have a old computer with not enough memory.

Vista is also mainstream, so its a bit like saying "I got this motherboard with loads of SATA connectors, but I only want IDE". If you get what I mean.

Those statements are funny, but true =P

hehe

Okala

Thanks so much for the various comments. I decided that I'll go with XP and not Vista.
Reasons: Most of my software/hardware is XP and I am not comfortable with seeking new drivers for everything. My last computer was a Dell Dimension 4550 (5 years old) and my new unit, even with XP, should be a bit faster with the i7 (620) processor and Nvidia 285 card installed. I know that the 6gigs of RAM will not totally be used as with a 64 bit operating system... however after Windows 7 has been released for a while, and refined, I believe I'll be able to then make a smooth transition with what I now have and not have to upgrade for a while.

Gooberman

Thanks so much for the various comments. I decided that I'll go with XP and not Vista.
Reasons: Most of my software/hardware is XP and I am not comfortable with seeking new drivers for everything. My last computer was a Dell Dimension 4550 (5 years old) and my new unit, even with XP, should be a bit faster with the i7 (620) processor and Nvidia 285 card installed. I know that the 6gigs of RAM will not totally be used as with a 64 bit operating system... however after Windows 7 has been released for a while, and refined, I believe I'll be able to then make a smooth transition with what I now have and not have to upgrade for a while.

first it's 920 but it's ok everyone makes mistakes.
and you should just get vista and Xp and dualboot :)

speedyink

VIP Member

First off, Windows 7 uses Vista drivers, so you'll have to find them anyway. Second, Vista and Windows 7 are SO much better at automatically installing drivers during the install. I just installed 7 on my Desktop yesterday and it literally installed all my drivers upon installation.

I would only advise to install XP if you already have it. It's about the same price as Vista anyway, and you may as well learn the revised layout before 7 comes out (since as of now they have similar layouts), and enjoy the benefits in the time being.

All in all every reason you have for not going with Vista you'll have to deal with when you install 7 anyway, your just delaying it. Besides, what your doing is like buying a Ferrari and putting a Honda engine in it.

Of course it's your decision though, if you really want to go with XP, no ones stopping you.

Last edited: