New Build Check

Hi, it's been 15 years since I've built my last computer so after a bit of reading I'm looking at the following HW for mostly photo / video editing and the occasional gaming sessions (CoD, CS GO and minecraft).

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x.
Do I really need the 'x' or is the 2700 ok?

ASUS ROG STRIX or TUF B450-F Gaming.
Not really sure on difference between the ROG and TUF. They are nearly the same price where I am. Seems the TUF has better components but does it really???

DDR4 GSkill 32gig 3000, PC 4 24000.
Is it worth getting 2 sticks of 16gig? Or should I just go with two 8giggers? The mobo has 4 slots anyway. And can windows 10 make use of 32 or even 64gigs ram these days?

I already have a ATX case, a 650 W power supply and a graphic card (MSI GTX 970).
I'm probably going to change out to an AMD graphic card in a few months. Just want to see how this is first.

Will the power supply be enough? How can I check that myself?

So I guess still a few questions for this old guy to answer.
Any help or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do I really need the 'x' or is the 2700 ok?
2700x just has a higher clock and then 105 watt tdp instead of the 65 for the 2700.
Not really sure on difference between the ROG and TUF. They are nearly the same price where I am. Seems the TUF has better components but does it really???

Description from a website

ROG is an abbreviation, which stands for Republic Of Gamers. TUF stands for The Ultimate Force. With an Asus ROG or TUF laptop, you're ready to play your favorite games. The TUF models are suitabe for most games. As long as they're graphically not too demanding and you don't always put the settings on ultra. Do you want to do that? Go for an ROG model, those video cards have GeForce GTX 1060 from the NVIDIA. You can play all your games on the highest settings with ROG.

Is it worth getting 2 sticks of 16gig? Or should I just go with two 8giggers? The mobo has 4 slots anyway. And can windows 10 make use of 32 or even 64gigs ram these days?

For most users 16gb would be plenty. Unless you are into cad or design work, encoding then you may want 32 gb or more. Windows 10 Home 64 bit allows up to 128gb of ram.
Will the power supply be enough? How can I check that myself?

As long as the 650 watt psu is reputable brand and model, its more then enough for your needs.

Thank you so much for that fast and complete reply, much appreciated!!

Looks like it will be a,

2700x
ROG Strix
32 gigs

for me.
Just in time for black Friday :)

Or will there be better 'computer' deals on cyber Monday???

ssal

I'd just built my own for video editing. Very similar like yours.
I chose the 7-2700x over the 5-3600x because of the 8 cores/16 thread which are better for Adobe (got my advice here).
I strongly suggest a NvMe M.2 SSD because it is 4-5x faster than SATA. For video editing where the file is intensively accessed, that 4x read speed is going to make a difference, particularly on 4K video.

Thanks for the advice!
The NvMe is a but new to me, will need to read a but byt sounds good.

Did u use 32gig ram?
Which mobo did u use?

ssal

Thanks for the advice!
The NvMe is a but new to me, will need to read a but byt sounds good.

Did u use 32gig ram?
Which mobo did u use?

The SATA SSD is approx. 4x fast than 7200 rpm HHD. And the NvMe M.2 SSD is another 4-5x faster than SATA.

This is my built.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4)
Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 ZT-P10620A-10M 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk
DVI-D VGA Adapter
HDMI VGA Adapter