new build *help!* no screen responce

Dillan500

got a new mobo and there is no screen showing... i tried using the integrated
vga port, i tried using an agp grapgics card, a pci graphics card, and a pcie graphics card...

what could i be doing wrong??

thanks.

joh06937

try the monitor on another computer. make sure it is pugged in correctly. make sure there is only one cable plugged into the monitor/computer. try another monitor on your computer. rule those out first.

deanj20

Well - is it possible that the screen is DOA? Have you tried it on another computer? That would be my first move. If it doesn't work on another computer, and you're sure that you have all of the cables properly inserted, then I would RMA it.

Also, is it possible that the machine is not booting up? Does it seem to be running OK? If you have speakers, you could turn up the volume and wait for the "Windows welcome" tune that plays when it starts up. Or have you even installed an OS yet? I guess not since it's a new build? Have you tried a known working monitor on the computer..?

[edit]damn - got beat to the punch![/edit]

Dillan500

Well - is it possible that the screen is DOA? Have you tried it on another computer? That would be my first move. If it doesn't work on another computer, and you're sure that you have all of the cables properly inserted, then I would RMA it.

Also, is it possible that the machine is not booting up? Does it seem to be running OK? If you have speakers, you could turn up the volume and wait for the "Windows welcome" tune that plays when it starts up. Or have you even installed an OS yet? I guess not since it's a new build? Have you tried a known working monitor on the computer..?

the screen works 100% and i tried it on my laptop and works perfectly.

it seems to boot, because all the fans spin, power light turns on, cpu creats heat.

i do have windows on the hard drive, but wouldent it need drivers to make sound? and i dont think it would boot strait up.

deanj20

i do have windows on the hard drive, but wouldent it need drivers to make sound? and i dont think it would boot strait up.

I would think you would have sound via your on-board audio ports w/out installing a driver. Maybe. But since we know that the monitor is working on the laptop, I think that we need to find out why you're not getting display from the board. When you tried your on-board graphics, did you still have the video card inserted? Completely remove it as well as everything else from the computer, so that all you have plugged in is the monitor to the on-board VGA, a power cable, and a keyboard. Then see if you get any display.

Post back with the results - I'll be researching further posibilities.

Dillan500

I would think you would have sound via your on-board audio ports w/out installing a driver. Maybe. But since we know that the monitor is working on the laptop, I think that we need to find out why you're not getting display from the board. When you tried your on-board graphics, did you still have the video card inserted? Completely remove it as well as everything else from the computer, so that all you have plugged in is the monitor to the on-board VGA, a power cable, and a keyboard. Then see if you get any display.

Post back with the results - I'll be researching further posibilities.

Holy S*** it works!

the only thing i did different was take out a wireless internet card, and plug in a ps/2 keyboard instead of a usb one...

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP!

joh06937

also, make sure you enable/disable the vga options in bios. i know in my bios i have options for the sources. just check them.

EDIT: oops, posted right after you :p

Last edited:

deanj20

Holy S*** it works!

the only thing i did different was take out a wireless internet card, and plug in a ps/2 keyboard instead of a usb one...

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP!

That's what I do. :D

Glad it worked out for you. Remember, anytime you're building/adding hardware/troubleshooting hardware, always break the computer down to the simplest possible components, and be sure it works that way. Then you can start installing your doo-hickeys and whatchamacalits one at a time, rebooting between each one. That way if it "craps out" you'll know the culprit immediately w/out having to guess. ;)

Last edited: