New Build, Killer budget

Drenlin

That's the problem...windows can't defrag or format them properly. You have to do a complete wipe to get the speed back, unfortunately.

funkysnair

VIP Member
you dont defrag ssd's....

when ssd's 1st come out there was issues with stuttering but most drives now are fine, just stay away from the cheap stuff!

sniperchang

Alright, so If I install the OS and non-gaming programs on a my velociraptor, and install currently playing games in the SSD, I'll be able to do full wipes from time to time to take full advantage of the speed boost.

The question now is: is this faster than two velociraptor in raid 0?

sniperchang

I did a bit more research. To answer my own question. SSD is slightly better than the Raid 0 according to some people. I also found out that the reason ssd where slowing down, is that there wasn't a system for flagging data that is no longuer in use. A new command called TRIM, supported by windows 7, addresses this. The newer Intel X25-M (34nm ones) support this TRIM command (see here).

Last edited:

Drenlin

I did a bit more research. To answer my own question. SSD is slightly better than the Raid 0 according to some people. I also found out that the reason ssd where slowing down, is that there wasn't a system for flagging data that is no longuer in use. A new command called TRIM, supported by windows 7, addresses this. The newer Intel X25-M (34nm ones) support this TRIM command (see here).

I hadn't seen that. Good find. :good:

sniperchang

How's this?

EDIT: I've decided to wait a while longuer for the SSD.

What other, low-end, card would you recommend to use as a secondary card, to run my fourth monitor? I added a HD 5570, will that do?

Last edited:

sniperchang

I'm willing to give evga another try. The motherboard in this list had better ratings. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm also thinking of getting an nvidia as secondary instaid of another ATI. I know that newer drivers disable physx on nividia cards with systems that have non-nividia cards, however, if I can get it working with an old driver or something, than I get extra physx calcs. If it doesn't work, at least it's still able to run that fourth monitor. Yes? Not worth it?

Edit2: Check this out

EDIT3: More Info

Last edited:

bomberboysk

I'm willing to give evga another try. The motherboard in this list had better ratings. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm also thinking of getting an nvidia as secondary instaid of another ATI. I know that newer drivers disable physx on nividia cards with systems that have non-nividia cards, however, if I can get it working with an old driver or something, than I get extra physx calcs. If it doesn't work, at least it's still able to run that fourth monitor. Yes? Not worth it?

Edit2: Check this out

EDIT3: More Info
Your current EVGA board is not technically an evga board, it is an nvidia reference board(designed by nvidia), built by foxconn, and then sold/supported by evga.

ALL X58 boards evga sells are designed by evga themselves, as nvidia has no reference design X58 boards. However, even though that evga board is pretty nice, $10 more gets you a vastly better board:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131403

I'd highly suggest not going with a 9800gt for physx, as even with older drivers its still pretty buggy.

For DDR3, i personally highly suggest against OCZ, their Quality Control is relatively poor, and i have had issues with 2x2 and 3x2gb kits of theirs, so im not sure how much i'd trust they could get a good matched 6x2gb kit. I'd say spend the extra for corsair or such:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145235

If you are just planning on running a 3rd/4th display with the second card, go for the cheapest card you can pick up in the 5XXX series range. Also remember that displayport is REQUIRED on the 5xxx series to run 3 displays from a single card, so you will either need two cards each with two dvi outputs, or a card with a single output and then use the 2 dvi on the 5870 as well as a displayport enabled display(well, you can buy an adapter for displayport, but it has to be an active/powered adapter, the only current one out there is from dell and costs $99).

Last edited:

sniperchang

About the secondary card. My point was, even if I can't get the physx to work (never mind the old drivers thing), at least it can still run my fourth monitor. I read that using a 9600GT is optimal for physx. I could get one of those (maybe even a cheap used one), and try this. If it doesn't work, at least I can run two monitors on it.

About the memory. I'm gonna take your word for it. I know corsair has good stuff.

About the motherboard. I can't argue, I think I'll like that board.

About the 5870, Yes I would like to run three monitor on that card. This should allow me to span accross three monitors. But what's this about a powered DisplayPort adaptor? I was under the impression that there's just a simple DisplayPort to DVI adaptors/cable?

EDIT: Like one of these

EDIT2: I've made changes to my wish list

Last edited:

bomberboysk

About the secondary card. My point was, even if I can't get the physx to work (never mind the old drivers thing), at least it can still run my fourth monitor. I read that using a 9600GT is optimal for physx. I could get one of those (maybe even a cheap used one), and try this. If it doesn't work, at least I can run two monitors on it.

About the memory. I'm gonna take your word for it. I know corsair has good stuff.

About the motherboard. I can't argue, I think I'll like that board.

About the 5870, Yes I would like to run three monitor on that card. This should allow me to span accross three monitors. But what's this about a powered DisplayPort adaptor? I was under the impression that there's just a simple DisplayPort to DVI adaptors/cable?

EDIT: Like one of these

EDIT2: I've made changes to my wish list

Those adapters are considered "passive" adapters, and unfortunately the 5870 doesnt support them. This is the only one i know of that will work with the 5870:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521

Reason i suggest going with 2 ATI cards, is you will have less chance of driver conflics/etc if you are running two ati cards(or two nvidia cards) vs. an ati card as well as an nvidia card.

Something else you could think about is using the 9800gt from your current rig as a headless physx card as well as a 5870 & Cheaper 5XXX card for the displays.

sniperchang

Those adapters are considered "passive" adapters, and unfortunately the 5870 doesnt support them. This is the only one i know of that will work with the 5870:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521

Reason i suggest going with 2 ATI cards, is you will have less chance of driver conflics/etc if you are running two ati cards(or two nvidia cards) vs. an ati card as well as an nvidia card.

Something else you could think about is using the 9800gt from your current rig as a headless physx card as well as a 5870 & Cheaper 5XXX card for the displays.

I'm gonna try selling my current rig for way overprice by putting emphasis on the multimonitor capability. It worked once before ;)

Anyway, some of the future 5870 are gonna have 6 DisplayPorts for six monitor support. You're telling me each one needs to be connected to a USB port? From the looks of it, that adaptor is a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI. While a passive connection would be just a standard DVI-D.

Do you have any links so I can read up more on this? Thanks

EDIT: I did a bit of reading, and you may right! I'll be back with details...

Last edited:

sniperchang

Have a look at this.

It appears that the 5870 only has two timing signal generators. I guess the active adapter of the DisplayPort has it's own timming signal.

Man that's crap. So I heard that some new monitor have DisplayPorts. Maybe in the future I could get one of those and it would do the trick?

EDIT: I also learned that the six displayports version of the 5870 coming out will have four timing circuits. So four passive adapters can be used. But it will need two more active adapters to have six.

Last edited:

sniperchang

I've updated the wish list

I'm giving up on physx. ATI is developping their own thing anyway, and nvidia are total douche bags right now.

I think this will be it. Any more opinions? Will that PSU do?

EDIT: I used a PSU calculator, seems ok.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

The 850W is plenty of power for that.

The new 5870's with 6 displayports will support passive dvi->displayport adapters, however the current model will only work with an active adapter. In fact, its probably worth waiting for the new 5870, as it will also support up to 6 monitor eyefinity on a single card.

Something else to check is you may want to think about an aftermarket hsf for that i7 920, they can really shine when oc'd.

sniperchang

The 850W is plenty of power for that.

The new 5870's with 6 displayports will support passive dvi->displayport adapters, however the current model will only work with an active adapter. In fact, its probably worth waiting for the new 5870, as it will also support up to 6 monitor eyefinity on a single card.

That's a good point. How long until they come out?

Something else to check is you may want to think about an aftermarket hsf for that i7 920, they can really shine when oc'd.

My local computer shop sells the Artic Freezer 7 for really cheap. I really like those HSF because they're pretty effective for the price.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

That's a good point. How long until they come out?

My local computer shop sells the Artic Freezer 7 for really cheap. I really like those HSF because they're pretty effective for the price.

Quite honestly i wouldnt recommend the arctic freezer 7 for an i7, even though the V8 isnt one of my favorite coolers, for the price here you cant beat it(and far better than the freezer 7):
http://www.tilatech.com/products/Co...se-Aluminum-Fins-8-Heatpipes-CPU-Cooler-.html

Also, on the new 5870's, no word on when they are going to be released so i'm not sure.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I personally do not like the ATI drives and hate how they feature bundle everything in several apps and call it catalyst. Also, researching benchmarks hardly reflects real world performance on every single system configuration. You don't see hardware testers running benchmarks with every possible OS, driver and hardware configuration possible. While they are the best way to gauge performance, just remember that they are not the end all be all on total performance a video card can do. Since there are probably literally a billion different combination of hardware/software/firmware you can run in the PC world.

Hardware wise, the top of the line cards are almost identical, so really it comes down to who can write the best software and firmware for their cards at the moment. It is not like either card company holds some secret recipe for advanced GPUs that gives them the best card in the market.

Due to my past experiences with ATI and their drivers I went with Nvidia this time, and am happy with my purchase. Plus, if you can run almost all games at max settings at 1680 x 1050 who really cares what card you have? I got COD MW2 running at Max settings on my PC and it runs fine and it looks nice. Rarely I will get some frame drops, but that is when there is way too much going on at once and it isn't all that noticeable.