New Build (Newbie at computers, could use some advice.)

Delsaren

Hello everyone,

I have a question about this build.
I'm new to the PC-gaming and I was wondering if what I put together is viable for a good gaming PC.
I'm going for a 3-screen setup using the monitor that is listed below:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FKTxTH

GPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 103 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Wester digital blue 1000gb Sata III
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
Power supply Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor BenQ XL2411Z 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x3

If you guys have noticed anything I would love to know.

mistersprinkles

There are better SSD's out there and faster RAM. Which CM PSU exactly is it you want to use? Some are good some are bad.

Overall looks like a decent build. You sure you don't want a 3440X1080 monitor instead of 3 1080p's?

Darren

Staff member
You planning on gaming on all 3 monitors? If so that 1070 might not quite cut it depending on the title.

Delsaren

There are better SSD's out there and faster RAM. Which CM PSU exactly is it you want to use? Some are good some are bad.

Overall looks like a decent build. You sure you don't want a 3440X1080 monitor instead of 3 1080p's?

I'll take a look for other SSD's and there is indeed a better version of that RAM:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3q38TW/crucial-memory-bls2c8g4d240fsc
How does this sound?

I think I'm going for a 3x setup because I like putting things on different screens so I can keep track of multiple things at the same time. I'm not sure how this would work on a ultra wide screen though.

I know very little about power requirements and therefore do not know which power supply is best for this setup. I did read somewhere that around 500 watt is about the minimum you need for a gaming PC so I went with a slightly higher wattage just to be safe.

mistersprinkles

SSD wise look no further than the Samsung 850EVO it is rock solid and performs well.

You can easily go as high as 3000Mhz RAM with that CPU/chipset combo if you want to. 2133 is on the slow side of things. It doesn't make a massive difference but then the price difference also is not very massive.

It sounds like you don't actually want to play GAMES across 3 screens, you want to game on one and just have "other stuff" on the other 2, right? In that case I would suggest that the gaming screen be 2560x1440 instead of 1920X1080. The other two can be smaller and lower res to save on costs.

For a single 1440P display (gaming) and 2 other displays for 2D stuff, a 1070 is fine. No need to change that.

There are some pretty amazing gaming monitors out there. 144Hz (and more) refresh rates, super low input lag and response time, and adaptive sync technology. If you go with an Nvidia card you would have to get a Gsync display for adaptive sync, but if you go AMD, you can get yourself a Freesync display, which is much cheaper.
AMD doesn't really have a current gen card that can match the 1070/1080, but they can match the 1060 with the RX480 which comes in 4 and 8GB variants. Still competent for 1440P, just not on ultra settings for a lot of newer games. On my old GTX 980, which is roughly RX480 equivalent, I was having to turn down some settings in games like the new hitman and forza horizon 3 to get what I would consider good framerates (high fifties to seventies).

You can certainly game at 1080P if you want and save money on the monitor and the graphics card. But 1080P is dying out as the defacto gaming resolution and 1440P and 4K are replacing it. If you buy a 1080P display now, you will be sort of behind the times. On the brightside you can stick with midrange GPUs to run it, as that is not a demanding resolution these days.

Darren

Staff member
When I say gaming on 3 monitors I mean having your game go across all monitors at once and having a high resolution as a result. You need a lot of GPU power to push multiple monitors. If you're only going to playing on one monitor with other stuff one the other two then I'd suggest a 1440p and then 2 1080p's or go Ultrawide.

_id1442394024_343178_4.jpg

Delsaren

SSD wise look no further than the Samsung 850EVO it is rock solid and performs well.

You can easily go as high as 3000Mhz RAM with that CPU/chipset combo if you want to. 2133 is on the slow side of things. It doesn't make a massive difference but then the price difference also is not very massive.

It sounds like you don't actually want to play GAMES across 3 screens, you want to game on one and just have "other stuff" on the other 2, right? In that case I would suggest that the gaming screen be 2560x1440 instead of 1920X1080. The other two can be smaller and lower res to save on costs.

For a single 1440P display (gaming) and 2 other displays for 2D stuff, a 1070 is fine. No need to change that.

There are some pretty amazing gaming monitors out there. 144Hz (and more) refresh rates, super low input lag and response time, and adaptive sync technology. If you go with an Nvidia card you would have to get a Gsync display for adaptive sync, but if you go AMD, you can get yourself a Freesync display, which is much cheaper.
AMD doesn't really have a current gen card that can match the 1070/1080, but they can match the 1060 with the RX480 which comes in 4 and 8GB variants. Still competent for 1440P, just not on ultra settings for a lot of newer games. On my old GTX 980, which is roughly RX480 equivalent, I was having to turn down some settings in games like the new hitman and forza horizon 3 to get what I would consider good framerates (high fifties to seventies).

You can certainly game at 1080P if you want and save money on the monitor and the graphics card. But 1080P is dying out as the defacto gaming resolution and 1440P and 4K are replacing it. If you buy a 1080P display now, you will be sort of behind the times. On the brightside you can stick with midrange GPUs to run it, as that is not a demanding resolution these days.

First of all thanks for all the input! it really helps me.

I've been looking for 1440p monitors for a few hours now and have come across a few ones I really like.

Gaming on 1 monitor while having 2 monitors for other things is indeed what I want, but I still have a question about 3 monitor gaming;
Since the 1070 might not be able to handle some games on 3 monitors, would the problem be fixed if I bought an extra 1070 and used SLI?
if that were possible, would that work on 3 1440p monitors or would I have to get 3 1080p monitors.

Delsaren

When I say gaming on 3 monitors I mean having your game go across all monitors at once and having a high resolution as a result. You need a lot of GPU power to push multiple monitors. If you're only going to playing on one monitor with other stuff one the other two then I'd suggest a 1440p and then 2 1080p's or go Ultrawide.

_id1442394024_343178_4.jpg

That is also what I meant.

Im trying to find out how to make that possible and if its worth it.

Darren

Staff member
That is also what I meant.

Im trying to find out how to make that possible and if its worth it.

What games do you play, and how much benefit do you really think you'll get out of multiple displays like that? Sure it's cool and for some games like racing it's worthwhile, but keep in mind how much you'll actually use all displays for gaming versus just using one. Ramping up to multiple monitors really puts a hit on your performance as it's a whole lot more pixels to process and you'll need to spend more money to get a smooth experience. A 1070 can do 3 monitors, but it really depends on what you expect to play on whether or not it's worth it.

Personally I'd get a 1440p with a high refresh rate (120 or 144Hz) over 3 1080p's at 60Hz. Smoother frames and higher graphics quality versus a wider viewing angle. An Ultrawide also makes more sense in my mind than multiple gaming monitors.

Delsaren

What games do you play, and how much benefit do you really think you'll get out of multiple displays like that? Sure it's cool and for some games like racing it's worthwhile, but keep in mind how much you'll actually use all displays for gaming versus just using one. Ramping up to multiple monitors really puts a hit on your performance as it's a whole lot more pixels to process and you'll need to spend more money to get a smooth experience. A 1070 can do 3 monitors, but it really depends on what you expect to play on whether or not it's worth it.

Personally I'd get a 1440p with a high refresh rate (120 or 144Hz) over 3 1080p's at 60Hz. Smoother frames and higher graphics quality versus a wider viewing angle. An Ultrawide also makes more sense in my mind than multiple gaming monitors.

I usually play simulator games and the occasional FPS.
But after thinking about what you guys said I think I made a decision.

I'm going to get 1 ultra wide screen for gaming and 2 smaller side screens to work and do my studying with.
Now I just have to find a good ultra wide screen..

Thanks again for all the feedback! It really helps me alot!

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'm going to get 1 ultra wide screen for gaming and 2 smaller side screens to work and do my studying with.
Now I just have to find a good ultra wide screen..
Tread carefully. If you're planning to get a 34" 1440p ultrawide, you might want to only get 1 secondary monitor and use the left over $$ to go from a 1070 to a 1080.

mistersprinkles

Also keep in mind that ultrawides can create headaches for some games, as not all games support that aspect ratio.

There are some great high refresh rate 2560X1440 monitors.

Darren

Staff member
Also keep in mind that ultrawides can create headaches for some games, as not all games support that aspect ratio.

There are some great high refresh rate 2560X1440 monitors.
Don't they usually just add black bars on the side rather than stretch it?