New build not starting

Ok so I purchased new MB CPU RAM and M.2 drive. Straight swap into my case. Turning the pc on I get to the MB splash screen but can't get any further. Can't enter the bios at all. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps I know. Can anyone offer any help?

Cpu Intel i5 10400f
MB Gigabyte z590 Gaming X
RAM Kingston HyperX 3200 8gbx2
M.2 Samsung 980 Ssd

Darren

Staff member
Probably not fully posting. Are there any error codes or numbers anywhere on the BIOS splash screen?

Pull out your RAM and try just one stick. Reset CMOS as well.

Darren

Staff member
Also, how is your OS installed? Disconnect all hard drives and you should be able to get into BIOS, might be hanging trying to load Windows.

No os installed at all yet. Hitting del to get to bios doesn't work it's acting like the keyboard isn't there though the numlock light does come on. I have reset the cmos using the jumper on the board and still got no were. I will try pulling sticks of ram next

Darren

Staff member
I've had that issue before on machines that were totally fine but wouldn't pick up the keyboard and with no OS would just sit there at BIOS splash. Try getting a super basic USB keyboard and see if it picks that up, some fancier gaming keyboards and the like don't work until you're in Windows depending on settings.

You can also sometimes freak it out by booting with no RAM in, and then once it beeps at you, shut it off and reinsert just one stick of RAM and it might kick you straight into the BIOS, worked for me before.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that the motherboard is shorting out against the case somewhere or possibly being shorted another way. Try removing the motherboard from the case to verify. Are all standoffs in the correct places? Sometime a bit of metal from the I/O shield will get inside one of the ports on the back of the motherboard and stop it from booting. With the last pc I built one of the tabs for a usb port wasn't fully removed and it was inside the usb port and I didn't realize it until I already had the motherboard screwed down before it was even turned on so I had to remove it from the case to remove the tab from the I/O plate. Leave all the case wires attached and you'll also need to have video card attached as well. If it boots correctly outside of the case then you know there is a short somewhere.

beers

Staff member
Which ports are you using for the keyboard? I've seen similar behavior where only the black 2.0 ports actually capture BIOS actions in that state. Also if you have a PS2 to USB converter you could try using that interface assuming the previous suggestion has no impact.