New Build Problem HELP!!

Matt-man

I have just built a new system from scratch however i am having problems installing an OS.

I have built the PC everything appears to be correct, I have one hard drive assigned to Master and plugged in the master IDE slot, the PC boots fine i have it set to run from Disc so it boots windows set up and goes through this fine, it lets me format the drive and then begins to install windows files.

After doing this it says the pc will reboot and i let this happen however when booting back up if you let it pass the "press any key to boot from CD" it says there is a disk read error and press Ctrl Alt Del to reboot.

If i boot from CD again it just repeats the motions of installing windows again.

PLEASE HELP i have no idea what is wrong, could it be a hard drive problem?!?!

Matt-man

Yes, it allows me to go into windows setup where i firstly format the HD then it begins installing Windows files after this it says your system will now be rebooted, at which point it restarts and you have a 5 sec interval to press any key to boot from CD or if you leave it it boots from next available drive (in this case HD) but it then says Disk read error, press CTRL ALT DEL to reboot.

Bigshow1030

fdisk

do you have an fdisk that you can boot from? I believe honestly that the computer does not yet know what it is.........If you have a fdisk you can go into cmos and boot up from the a:, then you can go and partition and format and then load windows :confused:

mgoldb2

VIP Member
few question I need to know before I can help you. does the harddrive show up in bios. If yes it does show up then does it show up as drive 0 or drive 1? It should show up as drive 0.

Matt-man

Unfortuantley i don't have a Floppy Drive so can't boot in this way. The hard drive does show in BIOS assigned to Master IDE slot 0.