New Build questions

Hello Again. OK, so I am looking at rebuilding my PC (already posted before but redesigning it)
Now, a little background. I am looking to upgrade my network at home, to a homelab/server Rack. What I want to be able to do with it,
I am looking into a 1U Raspberry Pi “rack” for 3-4 Pi’s, for miscellaneous stuff like Pi-hole, HomeAssistant, and one that runs 24/7 (for my outdoor LED stuff for X-mas/Halloween/etc), and other things to tinker with.
I also am looking into learning about VM’s as well as other OS’s like Linux so, I need a few cores that I can use all the time. The upgrade atm for my PC is going to be as follows, but the idea is that I can move it into the server as a main rack for things
I also want a VPN so I can get into my home network with something more secure than GoogleRemoteViewer lol.

Here is what I am looking at.
ASRock B550M-C
Ryzen 7 5700G
Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD x 2
Silicon Power Gaming 32 GB (2x16 DDR4 3200) x 2

So, I know I can save a little $ going with the Ryzen 5 5600G, but I was hoping for the extra cores for VM use, or whatever I may need lol. I want the G, I THINK because of the onboard graphics. One of the thigs I will be using the rack/server for is PLEX and I BELIEVE having graphics would help with the transcoding (and no I don’t totally understand what/why it is needed lol)

1 of the SSD’s will be for the OS, the other for Steam/other programs that I use often.
The RAM… I went with dual sets of 2x16 instead of a set of 2x32 because the price was a hair better, AND the speed of the RAM was 3200 (16 CAS) vs 2666 (18 CAS). Let me know if that is more sensible.
I know 64 GB seems like a lit, but I am at 24 atm, and could EASILY use 10+GB more with all the assets I use from Cities:Skylines. Also attempting to future proof for when I move it to a server. I THINK 64GB will be enough at that point, right?

I was also curious, my current case is an ATX, but this is a MicroATX that I want to use my GTX970 video card. Is that going to be an issue?
Will my power supply work or will I need a new one?

Also let me know if you see something else that is going to be an issue.

beers

Staff member
You'd probably be well off with an Intel build, the Quicksync works pretty well for transcoding, although I'm sure the igpu in Ryzen can push OpenCL conversion workloads.

What do you feel about seeing AM5 launch in a couple weeks?

I would like to go with the AM5, but its going to be a bit cost prohibitive I think, with DDR5 and such.
You'd probably be well off with an Intel build, the Quicksync works pretty well for transcoding, although I'm sure the igpu in Ryzen can push OpenCL conversion workloads.

What do you feel about seeing AM5 launch in a couple weeks?