New Build - Some Advice For An Old Timer??

Rambo

Hey guys,

I think its been at least two years since I was active around here... Not sure if the people I know are still here - Danny?? Omega??

Anyway, I'm putting a new build together next week and wanted to run by my current lineup with you. I'm not exactly up to date with the latest and greatest, so please do to tell me if you think something is wrong.

Here's what I've got so far...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail [BX80623I72600K]

RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit [KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX]

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply [OCZ700MXSP-UK]

Case: Cooler Master Silencio RC-550 Silent Tower Case - Black [RC-550-KKN1]

So - what do you think?? The only thing I can't change is the motherboard. I'm planning on using my existing graphics card and HD's... Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,
- Tim.

mihir

VIP Member
Hey, welcome back.
Danny and Omega drop by time to time.

What will you be using the computer for?
If for gaming you can save some money by downgrading to a Core i5 2500k.
And as for PSU, OCZ is good but if possible you should go with something better.Also why do you need a 700W PSU?
And since the k at the end of the processor model means an unlocked multiplier on the chip, so make sure you overclock it ;)

Last edited:

Rambo

Hey, welcome back.
Danny and Omega drop by time to time.

What will you be using the computer for?
If for gaming you can save some money by downgrading to a Core i5 2500k.
And as for PSU, OCZ is good but if possible you should go with something better.Also why do you need a 700W PSU?
And since the k at the end of the processor model means an unlocked multiplier on the chip, so make sure you overclock it ;)

I mostly do web design / graphic design, have lots of Photoshop stuff open, multiple browsers, and web development apps... Obviously this is all while having iTunes playing in the background :) I play a few games on Steam every now and then (Portal 2, etc).

I figured the 2600k was much better but, after looking into it, unless I'm doing a lot of number crunching, everyone is saying to save money and get the 2500k.

I wont be upgrading again for another five years, so which is the best one for me?

^^ Agreed, goming wise the 2500k is the exact same performance as the 2600k, and on that site this seems to be the best near that price and wattage

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-037-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

If you need the 700w that might work, but otherwise this would be much better.

I picked that one because it was modular... What is it that makes the Corsair better?

Thanks for your help guys :)

ScOuT

VIP Member
Just something to consider...I did a build with a "mirror like finish" case, black in color for a friend and he was disappointed after a few weeks. The shiny black finish would be covered with finger prints and the dust would show horribly. The case would look like crap after about 2 days. He was constantly wiping it down.

The 2500K will be just fine.

The OCZ ModXstream series have some mixed reviews. Many people say the cables are too short and their customer service is a joke to deal with. I have not ever owned anything OCZ and cannot speak from experience.

Rambo

Just something to consider...I did a build with a "mirror like finish" case, black in color for a friend and he was disappointed after a few weeks. The shiny black finish would be covered with finger prints and the dust would show horribly. The case would look like crap after about 2 days. He was constantly wiping it down.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I'm attracted to the sound absorption foam the case is lined with... I'm fed up of my really loud fans, so wanted something that was going to be pretty quiet. Do you have any recommendations?

The OCZ ModXstream series have some mixed reviews. Many people say the cables are too short and their customer service is a joke to deal with. I have not ever owned anything OCZ and cannot speak from experience.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the power cable was a bit short. Ok, I think I'll go with the TX-650 V2.

mihir

VIP Member
About the OCZ Modxtream Pro
Build Quality Summary
The overall Build Quality for the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro looks very much like a cheap group regulated unit and in many ways would be comparable to the FSP Epsilon design used by so many different brands these days. If this unit performs like the FSP Epsilons, then this certainly would not be a good thing but from the build quality this unit is not giving us much hope that it will be better than those units. Indeed, all of the FSP Epsilon's we have seen to date have at least one leg up on the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro in my opinion and that is with those units I at least know who the capacitor manufacturers are. Let's just hope that these "Rec" capacitors are better than the good old standby "Rulycon" (Yes, with an L.) or “Asia-X” capacitors.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/3

While the XFX is a Seasonic Unit and the Corsair is a Delta unit if I am not wrong.(I tend to forget the rebrands)

As for the case I do not have experience with those kind of cases so really cannot comment on it but here are some cases to consider,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-028-NX&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=35
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-018-NX&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=35

Rambo

Thanks for the detailed info mihir.

Ok guys, I think I've come up with my final build. Here it is:

Motherboard:

Processor:

RAM:

PSU:

Case: (absolutely in love with this case - the reviews are awesome!)

How does it look? As I said, GPU and HD's are coming from my existing build... Thanks for all your help - much appreciated :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeap, its good memory. All that I have used for a few years now. And I have never had to RMA a stick either. I'm talking about hundreds of sticks.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Got you a good build there, good luck with it.

What kind of video card are you going to be using with it?

Rambo

Just an old ATi HD 4850. I don't really game that much nowadays, but it does the job well enough. I'll probably end up upgrading it in the future...

This build is actually going to be running OS X (hence why I couldn't change the motherboard - that one is 100% compatible). I've been running OS X on my PC for about 6 years and have never turned back. This will be my third build running OS X.

I still pay my respects to Apple by buying the OS X install disc, just not the overpriced Apple hardware :p

StrangleHold

Staff member
Just an old ATi HD 4850. I don't really game that much nowadays, but it does the job well enough. I'll probably end up upgrading it in the future...

A 4850 is not that bad of a card. I stil have another build that has a 4870.

I still pay my respects to Apple by buying the OS X install disc, just not the overpriced Apple hardware :p

LMAO