New build start up problem

Jeffo444

Hi all, I have just completed my first new build. I tested it before putting it in the case and all worked fine as it should.

I have now finished mounting it all within the case and I can't seem to get anything to appear on my monitor/TV. I'm using the same one as I did when I tested and the same hdmi lead too.
It's coming up with a fault code on my motherboard (AE) boot to legacy OS.

Does anyone know what boot to legacy means or how I resolve the issue.

This is my list of parts that I used

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jeffo444/saved/Kw3gXL
Cheers Dave

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it worked outside of the case but not inside the case then we can only assume that there is a short between motherboard and case. Did you install the standoffs in the correct places?

goranpaa

Hi! Try clearing the CMOS jumper on the mobo. Or pull the round, coin like mobo battery for a couple of minutes. That will reset bios.

StrangleHold

Staff member
They're not built into the case. They might have been screwed in. Just make sure one wasn't screwed in where there is no hole on the board.

Jeffo444

They're not built into the case. They might have been screwed in. Just make sure one wasn't screwed in where there is no hole on the board.

Yeah that's what i i was getting at, they were already screwed in. I counted them and made sure the pattern was the same as the board before i put the board in.

Hi! Try clearing the CMOS jumper on the mobo. Or pull the round, coin like mobo battery for a couple of minutes. That will reset bios.
il try that when im home from work tonight. There is a reset button on the board so would it be worth giving that a try.

Does anyone know what this 'boot to legacy OS' means?

Cheers Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffo444

Thanks for your help guys, iv managed to solve the problem now.

The problem was to do with my HDMI connection. stupid error on my part really.
The female DVI port on the motherboard still had a Protective cover over it and this was preventing my HDMI from being properly inserted. I found this out the hard way.
i removed my motherboard and started from scratch again. plugged in the CPU power, the 24 pin connector, speaker and HDMI. Everything worked as it should (got the single beep).

i then checked all the standoffs again and they were all fine. i then secured my motherboard back into the case. i powered it up same as when i tested it out of the case. i got the one beep but this time nothing on the monitor. (exactly the same as before).
so i removed the HDMI and used a normal DVI lead. turned it back on and wham it was back on the screen. after a further inspection i noticed the cover over the port was restricting the HDMI from fully inserting causing my problem.

Cheers for everyones help, Dave

Last edited:

goranpaa

Thanks for your help guys, iv managed to solve the problem now.

The problem was to do with my HDMI connection. stupid error on my part really.
The female DVI port on the motherboard still had a Protective cover over it and this was preventing my HDMI from being properly inserted. i found this out the hard way.
i removed my motherboard and started from scratch again. plugged in the CPU power, the 24 pin connector, speaker and HDMI. Everything worked as it should (got the single beep).

i then checked all the standoffs again and they were all fine. i then secured my motherboard back into the case. i powered it up same as when i tested it out of the case. i got the one beep but this time nothing on the monitor. (exactly the same as before).
so i removed the HDMI and used a normal DVI lead. turned it back on and wham it was back on the screen. after a further inspection i noticed the cover over the port was restcting the HDMI from fully inserting casuing my probelm.

Cheers for everyones help, Dave

Great that you did solve this. Such a misstake is easy to do when it's the first build. It feels like you have a ton of things to keep track on. And on top of that, one often are a little bit nervous and stressed.

Happy computing! :)

Last edited:

TroyTRFC

Hi all, I have just completed my first new build. I tested it before putting it in the case and all worked fine as it should.

I have now finished mounting it all within the case and I can't seem to get anything to appear on my monitor/TV. I'm using the same one as I did when I tested and the same hdmi lead too.
It's coming up with a fault code on my motherboard (AE) boot to legacy OS.

Does anyone know what boot to legacy means or how I resolve the issue.

This is my list of parts that I used

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jeffo444/saved/Kw3gXL
Cheers Dave
Hi if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for this set-up, i noticed it comes to £777.32 on the partpicker. Is that the price you paid?