New Build

trapar

A friend's about to part with his Gtx690. So now's a good time as any to finally upgrade my pc. Any recommended parts to build around that? Keeping the 690gpu and psu, I'm looking at budget of 400-500$.

And me being real cheap, would it even be possible to have the gtx690 installed in my current build? Maybe by upgrading some specific parts? Or would it just be best to start anew?

Case: Cooler Master Haf 932
Mobo: Asus Maximus II Formula
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 3.00 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator
PSU: Antec HCG-900

beers

Staff member
You could put it (it as in both PSU and gpu together) in your current build but it would be hilariously unbalanced.

You'd be best off looking at a 1151 combo or maybe Zen when it comes out soon. Something with ddr4 at least. You'd definitely need at least Mobo/CPU/ram as a platform upgrade. Other parts like case and hard drive you can reuse if needed.

Calin

For 400-500$ you can get a decent CPU/Mobo/Ram if you live in the US. You can keep your case, PSU and storage. Here's a CPU/RAM/Mobo combo I put together. I included a CPU cooler aswell becuase the 7600k doesn't come with a stock cooler (you can skip it if your current cooler is compatible with newer sockets). If you don't have a SSD, you can get a cheap one later

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.97 @ Jet)
Total: $470.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 19:51 EST-0500

trapar

You could put it (it as in both PSU and gpu together) in your current build but it would be hilariously unbalanced.

So I ended up doing that just to see if it'd work out. No luck. It can't even detect the card. It gives me a black border around the screen. Device manager gives me an error-Code 35. Searching that up tells me to update my BIOS but it's already been at it's last update for years. Oh well, new parts it is.

For 400-500$ you can get a decent CPU/Mobo/Ram if you live in the US. You can keep your case, PSU and storage. Here's a CPU/RAM/Mobo combo I put together.

Much appreciated. Will give myself a couple of days before I go ahead with the purchase. I'd like to hear more ideas.

ramirez

So I ended up doing that just to see if it'd work out. No luck. It can't even detect the card. It gives me a black border around the screen. Device manager gives me an error-Code 35. Searching that up tells me to update my BIOS but it's already been at it's last update for years. Oh well, new parts it is.
Much appreciated. Will give myself a couple of days before I go ahead with the purchase. I'd like to hear more ideas.

Did your friend give you a fully functional card?? Does you motherboard support PCI-X 3.0 or is it backward compatible?? Fresh driver install?? Could see if your motherboard has any latest chipset drivers to install.