New built system - comments please b4 i buy!

marmak

New system - comments please b4 i buy!

After being harrassed by Praetor ;) to get a system built rather than buy a ready-made one, I've now got the following spec from a shop (for $1,000 - they're building it for me). I don't do any gaming, this is mainly for web-design, music/movies downloading and running some modelling applications such as Matlab.

Case: CoolMaster Centurian black
500W ATX power supply
Asus P4S800 SIS 648FX
Intel P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz 800fsb 1MB cache
Jetram memory 512MB PC3200 DDR400
Maxtor 160GB HDD 8MB cache
floppy drive
Sony 16xDVD-ROM
Pioneer 8xDVD-RW (with Nero 6.0)
Sparkle FX5600 128MB graphic card
Onboard sound card
Windows XP Home
6 USB 2.0 + IEEE1394

Any comments welcome. :confused:

Last edited:

marmak

Thanks :) To be honest, we've run the modelling software on much lesser systems but I see your point. I guess more RAM would allow us to run more applications at the same time.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
- Drop the video card to the 5200 -- you're not doing any gaming so dont pay for the added gaming capabilty
- If possible, stay away from the Prescott ... the NorthwoodC-2.8 (P4C-2.8) is a much better deal all around
- Now you can easily afford to jack the memory to 1GB
- Another, probably more important thing you might want to do is get the P4P800 which is based off the Intel i865PE chipset -- vastly superior to the SiS chipset you've got there
All in all a very impressive setup! (see what I meant about getting what you wanted as well as getting more for the money? )
:)

marmak

Thanks! This is a very silly question, I know, but could you explain to me what sort of difference there is in terms of every day performance between the two chips? I'm trying to learn and this sounds pretty important!