new comp 2K budget

tuil21

hey guys,
im building me an AMD gaming computer with a 2K USD budget on it. ive alredy got the monitor etc. I just need the tower.. My mom said she just wants to buy a comp from dell the XPS gen 5 i think, but i am trying to convince her to let me build it.. would i notice the diffrence inbetween a regular hard drive, compared to a raptor HD?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=986325&sku=Q131-3200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171001

ripken2004

well definetly build it
u will notice the difference, the raptor is 10,000rmp and a regular is 7200rmp

ram:2x512 mushkin redline ~195
mobo:dfi 939 ultra-d ~135
cpu: 3700 san diego ~325
sound card: audigy 2 zs ~70
vid card: 7800gtx ~600
heatsink:xp-90 ~35
heatsink fan:panaflo 92mm ultra high speed(get a fan controller) ~9
dvd/cs burner:nec 3540A ~50
thermal paste: arctic silver 5 ~8
psu: ocz powerstream 520 ~130
case:cm stacker ~160
hdd1:raptor 74gig ~180
hdd2:hitachi 250gig sataII ~130

=~2027

that looks about it, u can change the case if u want and get that fan controller and fans for the case

u could save 150$ by getting a 6800gt and put it somewhere else

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
*points to his system* It was just at $2000, shipping included. If you're intersted, I can post more detailed specs. Probably best to PM me, I tend to overlook some posts ^^;

mgoldb2

VIP Member
You should get the athlon 64 3800+ Vience core instead of the newcastle core. I think they only like a $11 difference not that much when you spending as much as you are already.

tuil21

mgoldb2 said:
You should get the athlon 64 3800+ Vience core instead of the newcastle core. I think they only like a $11 difference not that much when you spending as much as you are already.

ok but whats the diffrence :confused:

mgoldb2

VIP Member
SSE3, improve memory controller (does not downclock when you use 4 sticks), proberly a few other small things am forgetting.

the vience has support for SSE3 and assume it has a different process type(not sure), and I have heard that its better for overclocking;)

EDIT: You beat me...Dial up i hate it...lol

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
would i notice the diffrence inbetween a regular hard drive, compared to a raptor HD?
1. Not really
2. Have a look at hdd101

u will notice the difference, the raptor is 10,000rmp and a regular is 7200rmp
Except according to you, the faster the drive spins, the more likely you'll encounter data corruption.....
ripken said:
the performance would be excellent but its a waste of money and greater chance of losing data, its the same thing when comparing a raptor and a 7200

ok but whats the diffrence
Newcastle is two revisions old. Venic is current. Technically: addition of SSE3, tweaked memory controller, 90nm process