New comp...FINALLY!

Tha Killa

The psu rails aren't that great in my opinion. Nice processor though :D
Are you going to be gaming? What games?

Apathetic

Awesome computer :). If your going to get a FPS I'm sure you've heard of counter-strike? :D (but dont limit your gaming to a couple of games)

tweaker

VIP Member
Also, I would have replaced the two small & expensive raptors with two bigger 7200rpm satas, Maxtors even make drives with 16Mb of cache nowadays.

But that's just my opinion. :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Maxtor
Capacity: 250GB
Average Seek Time: 9.0ms
Buffer: 16MB
Rotational Speed: 7,200RPM
Interface: Serial ATA 150

Raptor
Capacity: 74GB
Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA

Any questions ;P

Grimulus

I dig the computer bro. You should be very happy with your choice in processor and video card for sure. Why did you buy that stuff if you aren't a gamer?!?? I'm jealous of your machine now. :p good job.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
*grins* I'm not a heavy gammer, but I do game some, and probably will more now... Hehe, great system for college, eh ;P

One of my friends told me he'd buy me coutner strike if I ever get a computer that'll play it...hehe :D

mgoldb2

VIP Member
The_Other_One said:
Maxtor
Capacity: 250GB
Average Seek Time: 9.0ms
Buffer: 16MB
Rotational Speed: 7,200RPM
Interface: Serial ATA 150

Raptor
Capacity: 74GB
Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA

Any questions ;P

Take a look at the actural benchmarks
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10947

As you will see in real life the rapitor has a small unnoticable lead over the maxtor 16mb cache. The maxtor even perform better in muti-tasking. Acturally the rapitors dont perform well at all in multi-tasking. mix with the fact for the same price you get 300GB instead of 74GB. When all said and done that seek time mean nothing in real life and maxtor is more for your money.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What games?
The type of game hardly matters all that much....

But.....its.....a......RAPTOR HARDRIVE.
And its an overpriced chunk of metal. If you want an unnoticeable drop in peak ideal performance, go for the DiamondMax10s, if you want real performance go SCSI. :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hehe, well I've already purchased them, so no turning back now. Besides, I'd MUCH rather have WD over Maxtor anyday... I've had way too many of those drives just die on me...

Besides, every benchmark I can find online shows the Raptor is the fastest. Also, as I beleive I mentioned earlier, I can do fine with a 20G in my laptop and an 80G in my main system, so I beleive I'll be ok. Besides, I might invest in a larger storage drive as some others have done here... Probably some seagate...