New Comp will not boot

Timmie

I built the computer a few months back for a friend and it has been working fine...until now. Everything is hooked up right, but when I push the power button I get nothing. The Mobo gets green from PSU and I even tested the power switch. I know the guy that I built it for did not open it and screw with something. He says he had it running and it was slower then usual and when he left the room and came back, it had powered off and when he tried to boot again, nothing. The power didn't go out or anything like that. Any advice?
I was thinking maybe the PSU has a small short that is restricting the power output, but has just enough to power Mobo? So I will be swaping the PSU for a 500w, just to be sure.

paratwa

He says he had it running and it was slower then usual and when he left the room and came back, it had powered off and when he tried to boot again, nothing.

Sounds to me like it over heated and shut down. But it could be the psu. You can buy a psu tester for around $20 U.S from a computer store or online. You just hook the tester to the psu and it will tell you if it is bad or not.

Timmie

Yeah, it does seem like overheat....And thanks for the info on the tester, I may buy one in the future. Although in this case I think I'll just do a swap with one I have laying around. Cheaper :D