New computer build - critiques

Classic

Ok, here's where I'm at now, have just started ordering parts, so all suggestions appreciated:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939
Mobo: See below
DVD/CD: NEC 16x dual layer DVD burner
Hard Drive: Seagate 200g 7200rpm 8mb buffer
Memory: 512mb DDR (2 x 256mb)
Case: see below
Video Card: see below

I am looking to use this computer for gaming and HTPC, upconverting DVD's to my HDTV, burning DVD's, and storing movies and music onto hard drives (will buy more later), would like to be able to go to two monitors (1 for viewing DVD's and 1 for working etc...) Here are some suggestions I have gotten on other parts, any thoughts would be great !!

Mobo:
Chaintech nForce4 Ultra
Giga-byte nForce4 (non-Ultra)

Case:
Antec Solutions Series 350w psu
Aspire X-dreamer II ATX midtower 350w psu
Lotus Electronics Low Profile Desktop ATX 350w psu
Raidmax 10 bay Midtower ATX 420w psu
Impression Midtower ATX 300W Zalman Silent PS

Video Card:
GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card
Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3
6600 GT/x700 Pro
6600/ x700

Not really worried about being to noisy as will be in different room than HDTV, but don't want vacumn cleaner noise either !!

THANKS !!

Lax

VIP Member
Mobo is good but you might want to look at other companies than those 2 (Chaintech IMO is garbage and I have no experience with giga-byte). The video card is ok too but I'm an ATI man so I would tell you to go for the X700 or the X800 XT for hardcore video stuff (most new Gfx cards have dual monitor support) All I know about Nvidia is that they are really good with OGL and don't get anything below the FX 5960. What speed memory is it? If you are getting the newest of everything else you might wanna get the newest of memory also (look for DDR400 with 200Mhz fsb for the athlons (i think)). All CD drives are the same IMO so that's just a choice of preference for you. The HDD is my least favorite company so again a choice of your own preference. I am not an Athlon guy so I don't know anything about the chip you chose but from what I've heard it's an ok chip, just make sure you cool it right or it might overheat. With the cases I've found it really doesn't matter, as long as you have enough room for nice air flow it'll be ok (like 2-3 fans also helps). For the PSU you might want to get a bit bigger one (400-500) in case your machine goes power hungry while you are editing something and with the new GFx cards and mobos the suck a lot of power. Also before you buy a PSU you should look at the MAX amp and max Watt's it can do (meaning how much of a spike or drain can it handle before it blows a fuse). Had this happen to me once and it's not pretty.