New computer build

Xpire

Hi guys,

Just building a computer for a friend, they've specified a budget of $1500 (AUD)

They don't play games, generally use it for word processing, spreadsheets etc.

So far i've picked out these parts :

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P5Q - $159
CPU - Intel E8400 - $209
RAM - 2GB 800MHz Kingston - $53
HDD - Maxtor SATA 320GB - $66
VIDEO CARD - 8600GT 512 MB ASUS - $83
DVD BURNER - 215BK Pioneer - $33
CASE - Coolermaster Elite - $69
MONITOR - Samsung 22" - $286
KEYBOARD + MOUSE - Logitech LX310 - $55

This totals up to about $1013 AUD, what do you guys think? I was thinking about upgrading the video card, but i'm pretty sure there's no point in their case.

Thanks

Ethan3.14159

i dont even see the point in getting them that much if all they use it for is office apps. but i guess thats good enough for them, overkill in my opinion.

although that maxtor hard drive isnt looking to good, ive heard some bad bad things about those. seagate or western digital would be a safer bet

Xpire

i dont even see the point in getting them that much if all they use it for is office apps. but i guess thats good enough for them, overkill in my opinion.

although that maxtor hard drive isnt looking to good, ive heard some bad bad things about those. seagate or western digital would be a safer bet

Yeah that's what i was thinking, but since they gave me a budget to work with i thought i might as well get it close to that number.

I guess i could upgrade their HDD to seagate or WD, the seagate is $16 more, the WD is $4 more. Is it worth the $16 to get the Seagate?

Ethan3.14159

yeah the barracuda's are good and reliable at least compared to maxtors. WD is also good but ive been hearing of some issues of stability with their newer hdd's. i would go with the seagate.

Xpire

yeah the barracuda's are good and reliable at least compared to maxtors. WD is also good but ive been hearing of some issues of stability with their newer hdd's. i would go with the seagate.

Awesome, thanks dude.
I've got Maxtor HDD's but haven't had any problems...

Anyone else got any other suggestions with the other parts?? :D

Just looking at the motherboards from the shop im purchasing from, they've got :
ASUS P5K Pro - $145
ASUS P5K-EPU - $135
ASUS P5K-SE-EPU - $108
and a couple more others...

Is there much difference? I guess i could help them save some money if it's not much different...

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

maxtors may not be bad but theyre not the safest choice.

as for the motherboards there isnt much difference i think except what peripherals they come with. the epu's are more energy efficient, but any of those would be good

Xpire

Hmm. Still haven't built the computer yet, haha.

Just looking at the parts the shop sells, they sell the Kingston 2GB 800Mhz for $53.
They also sell the Kingston Hyper X 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz for about $114
And also, 2GB Kit(1x1GB) of Kingston Hyper X 1066MHz for about $81.

Just reminding you guys that the user of this computer is not a gamer, just trying to build them a computer that should last them a while...

Which one do you think i should get?

Thanks again

Sheringan

Hi guys,

Just building a computer for a friend, they've specified a budget of $1500 (AUD)

They don't play games, generally use it for word processing, spreadsheets etc.

So far i've picked out these parts :

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P5Q - $159
CPU - Intel E8400 - $209
RAM - 2GB 800MHz Kingston - $53
HDD - Maxtor SATA 320GB - $66
VIDEO CARD - 8600GT 512 MB ASUS - $83
DVD BURNER - 215BK Pioneer - $33
CASE - Coolermaster Elite - $69
MONITOR - Samsung 22" - $286
KEYBOARD + MOUSE - Logitech LX310 - $55

This totals up to about $1013 AUD, what do you guys think? I was thinking about upgrading the video card, but i'm pretty sure there's no point in their case.

Thanks

The specs seems too much for an office. But that's good enough. Everything in it.;)

N3crosis

4GB of RAM would probably be a good thing to have, I would probably suggest getting a cheaper or different GPU unless you are using Vista. If you are using Vista keep that.

cohen

I say go for a Quad Core + 4GB of ram, with that budget it can be done nicely!

and if your in Australia, go to MSY, they are really cheap!!!!!