New Computer designed for ~ $2,000: Recommendations?

dutchswan

New Member
[MODERATORS: I realize I posted this thread elsewhere...please delete the other one, as I put it in the wrong spot.]

I plan on hooking up two or three 19" monitors, will be doing 100mb RAW image editing, and eventually using my computer as the DVR for my security system with 4 - 8 cameras (when they make a PCIe DVR card that supports 64bit Windows 7). No gaming will be done (at least not seriously). Other than that, basic web surfing. Also, I will be operating on Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit). Please tell me if I am going the wrong direction on anything.

Here are the components I am considering:

newcomputer01.jpg


Note: It was suggested to me that I get at least a 5770 GPU, quick research revealed that the following GPU was only ~$15 more @ $168.99:

MSI R5770-PM2D1G-OC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127484&cm_re=5770-_-14-127-484-_-Product
 
Well, that is a very nice build, however, there is no way you will need 12GB ram. Go for 4GB. But my biggest concern is the amount of $$ you are spending. On a PC not used for gaming. From what you say, you need a $500 system :) $2000 is just really really big time over kill..

And you have no operating system I can see.

Bottom line, is, if you want to spend $2000 even though you REALLY don't need to, then ditch at least 4GB of RAM. That will bring you to 8GB, which by far more than enough :)
 
Well, that is a very nice build, however, there is no way you will need 12GB ram. Go for 4GB. But my biggest concern is the amount of $$ you are spending. On a PC not used for gaming. From what you say, you need a $500 system :) $2000 is just really really big time over kill..

And you have no operating system I can see.

Bottom line, is, if you want to spend $2000 even though you REALLY don't need to, then ditch at least 4GB of RAM. That will bring you to 8GB, which by far more than enough :)

Perhaps it is overkill RIGHT NOW, but the hardware requirements for applications will only increase over time. If I have to fill three slots of RAM, and do it with 2GB modules; then a few years down the road need more than 12GB or RAM, I basically have to throw away the old ram an buy all new.

The reason for the expense is the upgradability. The desktop I am using right now is a P4 2.4Ghz (800Mhz FSB) with 4GB RAM, 512mb GPU, and 250GB HardDrive. I built this PC in 2004!!! 6 years later, while no longer upgradable, is just now becoming obsolete. For crying out loud, this computer has survived 3 operating systems.

I would rather continue with the desktop I have now until it is utter unusable than build a new one for $500. I agree if there was a single thing I could do without on the new build, it would be to shed some RAM and upgrade later if the situation called for it.:(
 
Yeah, overkill for sure for the main usage!

I think part of the problem is I am not really sure what the weakest link is when dealing with 8 cameras streaming 480p into a PCIe DVR = 24/7. This HAS to be RAM/CPU/GPU intensive (or at least hard on one of these three). Think of a computer that will essentially NEVER be idle. So my solution is go heavy on all three.
 
I think part of the problem is I am not really sure what the weakest link is when dealing with 8 cameras streaming 480p into a PCIe DVR = 24/7. This HAS to be RAM/CPU/GPU intensive (or at least hard on one of these three). Think of a computer that will essentially NEVER be idle. So my solution is go heavy on all three.

That would mostly be the video card and the CPU. Well, if you want to future-proof the computer, then you will be good for at least 5 years before your comupter is a low end machine. If you plan on doing the future-proof thing, then go for it :good:
 
Back
Top