New Computer for Stereo

JoeTom93

Hi all,

I am trying to attach a new computer to my very old stereo. I had an ancient computer set up and have just upgraded it. I am using exactly the same procedure that I have used for months but am running into a problem.

I am connecting the computer to the stereo through one of the 3.5mm jacks on the back of the computer. I have a cable that converts a 3.5mm to two analog audio ins. Now my issue is that whenever the computer is attached to the speakers, the only sounds that comes out of it is the low hum telling me something is wrong.

I know that this is probably something really simple, its just driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance.

The computer is an HP Pavillion a1240n so its not exactly new
It works fine with headphones and computer speakers
it has a realtek sound card at the back that came with the computer.

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Are you sure you are connected to the correct jack? Often there is a microphone input jack and sometimes there is a multipurpose jack that would have to be programmed to act as an output.

Also, make sure the plug is securely installed, and that you have a stereo plug (three silver rings).

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Perhaps your cable is faulty?

You have verified that the output you are using from the computer works with headphones...

Perhaps the computer output level is too high for the input you are using on the stereo. Is there a different set of input RCA jacks you could try, like TAPE or PHONO?

JoeTom93

Phono was much louder, tape was just about the same. Still no sound from the computer though. Just a hum. I have tried music, nothing came through

JoeTom93

Ok I fixed it by pull the plug out of the computer a little. That doesn't seem... good though.

Do you have any suggestions as to why that would be and what I can do about it?

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Hrm... it is a stereo jack you are plugging in to?

... and headphones work fine out of that jack?
argh.gif

I'm wondering if there is some kind of mis-wiring or lack of a proper ground somewhere.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It means either the cable is breaking or your sound card is breaking. If it stops working first try a different cable, if that doesn't work then you'll have to buy a sound card.