new computer help

HPman

New Member
HI ALL,

I have purchased a new HP computer about 2 months ago. I have installed very few things on it's 650 GB HD. There is a game that I installed on it and it played good when the computer was new and now when you play it it is somewhat slow and flicks around a bit. The game is pretty old and only requires about 16mb video memory. I know that I have an integrated 128mb video card (9100 gforce). What has caused the game to slow down...???why do computers get slow over time? Not like this computer is old at all.....Do I need a new graphics card?

Thanks!
 
What sort of maintenance do you perform on it? It could be anything from malware hogging your resources, to dust clogging the heat sink on your graphics card or processor.
 
yes I do all the required maintenace on it. Disk defragmenter, virus scans, disk clean ups...they are all schedualed to do it every so often and I just did it also. The processor does not seem to be working hard....I have one of those monitors that shows the HDD usage and the ram usage and they are never high....Could a scratched disk do it? I know it has gotten some scratches on it....It is a quad core athlon 2.6 mhzs and 6gb ram....Thanks.
 
Do you notice it being slower outside of the game? If not, I'd go with the scratches on the disk.

Also, installing programs slows your computer down, especially if you click the fast or normal install over custom which also usually downloads more things you don't want (such as a toolbar for your web browser).
 
NO, I do not notice it being slow outside the game.....Just seems if I turn down the Resolution on the game it plays better, which kind of turns me away from the scratches??
 
What model of HP computer did you buy? We need to make sure you have an open pci express slot for a dedicated video card.
 
Yes there is a PCI express slot open inside the computer. Which of the two cards do you think may be better? I dont know what power supply I have i guess...mabey that doesnt really matter on a newer computer?
 
Most likely you have either a 250 or 300 watt supply at best, you would need to upgrade to at least a good 500 watt unit.
 
I don't think this has to do with his gpu's power. Anything old enough to require only 16mb of video RAM should run fine on a newer IGP like that.
 
go too windows task manager and check your cpu usage that could take put as you said you install alot of stuff, could be hogging the cpu in the lil bottom right corner
 
THANKS! The ATI 512 link that I gave says it requires a 300w power supply, so I should be OK?? I definatly do not plan on running the video card hard, thats for sure.....thanks.
 
Back
Top