New computer installation

b182tm

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering in what order you install everything into your computer? Does it matter? Do you do it all at once, or start the comp., then install some more? Does it generally go mobo, memory, processor, hard drive, dvd/cd drive? Also, do you ground yourself, or have anti-static gloves or anything? Finally, are there any hidden costs/extra things you need in order for the comp. to run? Sorry for all the questions...It's my first time.
Thanks a lot,
Derek

j0hn00

I usually install the motherboard into the case > CPU > heatsink/fan > memory > video card > hard drive > cd-rom > power supply. I boot up, make sure everything works, install the OS, then any additional hardware. Personally, I've never used anti-static gloves, but I do make sure to touch the power supply casing before I handle any hardware. Depending on what aftermarket accessories you want, that will determine your extra cost. I spent around US$130 on HSFs and fans.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well..

I usually install everything at once without testing. Really I do not see a point as everything should work flawlessly if the components were chosen correctly. There is no point in my opinion of installing components following each other. In fact the only time you should really need to try components seperatly is when you need to find what is causing you problems. There are several components that do not like static. It is advisable, for the sake of it, to use some gloves or those bands. It's really up to you. I never use them. I touch the case instead with the PSU on prior to connecting it to the motherboard and components.

JAN :D

mapollo

b182tm

A bit of advice from someone who has just built their first PC.

The trickiest bit was sorting out where to put the little cables that come from the front of the case (ie on/off button, reset switch, HD led's etc) to the motherboard.

I didn't think about them until after I had installed my Moby into the case. There is some lettering on the Motherboard that tells you where to fix these guys but it's tiny and almost impossible to read once the motherboard is fastened into the case....

So a bit of planning in advance with the board in your hands, before you fasten it down will make that easier.

Also I read somewhere on this board that someone installed a Moby without standoffs. If any one planning to build there own PC reads this and doesnt know what a standoff is you need to find out ;)

The rest of it wasn't too difficult and you are in the right place to get any assistance you may need.

Good Luck....

j0hn00

This is b182tm's first build. I'd think it be wise to take it step by step. For instance, an add on PCI card could stall the system (I've had this happen) before the OS is installed. All I'm saying is that one should only install the essential components first, then the rest later.

b182tm

Thanks a lot everyone. That's really helpful for my first build. I guess this is as good a place as any mapollo...what's standoff?
Anyway, thanks alot.
Derek

I2EN3GADE

also u should use plastic washers when fastening the mobo. ive read this on several sites. along with the standoffs it prevents the mobo from being grounded by the case.