New computer...need backups from old hdd..help!

Pck21

Hey all,

My parents just purchased a new computer and they want to transfer the old files, such as quicken back ups and other files, onto the new computer. Now what is the easiest AND cheapest way to do this? Can I actually just run a USB cable to both and transfer files? Can I use my USB Key to transfer them over? Or do I have to buy an encloser and hook them up? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

Dave

jp198780

is the new hd in the new computer STAT or ATA? if it's SATA, then iunno, i know there's MaxBlast 4 ATA ONLY, but go onto Maxtor's site, and look 4 something that transfers file from a STAT, it should be free, MaxBlast is.

Pck21

jp198780 said:
is the new hd in the new computer STAT or ATA? if it's SATA, then iunno, i know there's MaxBlast 4 ATA ONLY, but go onto Maxtor's site, and look 4 something that transfers file from a STAT, it should be free, MaxBlast is.

I believe the new comp is IDE and so is the old comp. Is there a program for this type of interface? Thanks for the help?

jp198780

IDE's the kind? shouldnt it be SATA or ATA? 2 make it easy, download Everest, and find out, be bac with the link.

Pck21

Ok thanks everyone! Actually the computer is being shipped right now from TigerDirect and the only specs I could read was the IDE part. I had no idea what that meant. All I know is that I have a SATA hdd and this one didn't. I will run that program anyway when it gets here.

So if the comp is ATA, what should I do to fix my problem?

Thanks again for all the responses!!