New Computer Network Connection

kzr22

hi,
I just finished building my new computer and im trying to connect it to the internet. My setup is a modem connecting to a lynksys WRT54G until now i was using it with a direct connection to my mac and wifi to 2 laptops. Anyway yesterday i took out the plug that was going into my mac and put it in my pc and it worked, but today i brought a ethernet cable to connect it to my other desk across the room. On the back of my router are 4 ports my mac being in the first. When I plug my pc into port 2 my pc gets limited connectivity and my mac doesnt get online either. Any help woud be greatly apreciated!

EDIT

the internet works as long as the other computer isnt plugged in and vice versa.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try a different cable and or port on the router. Also try rebooting modem and router. Turn all computers off first. Do this by turning both modem and router off and wait a minute. Turn modem back on and let it sync up then turn router on and then let it sync up and then turn computers back on and see if you have internet access again.