New computer, Old hard drive

conundrumK

Hi, I'm new here, nice to meet every one.

I'm a beginner at building a computer. This is my first time around building one. There is something I could not quite figure it out.

I decide to use the old hard drive from my old computer to be a master drive in my new computer since it already has windows and files in it. But when I hook it up and try to run the new computer. Windows XP pro always give me the "blus Screen of death" and I cannnot enter into windows itself. I don't want to format the hard drive because it has many important files on it. Is there any alternative in retreving my files? or am I doom? :(
thank you so much,
Kao

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I would say that you'll have to install Windows on the new drive, and then set-up your old hard drive as the slave, then you should be able to access all the files on that hard drive. One of the few, if not only ways to get the infor off of that HDD.

ripken2004

ya u need to do that, windows saves a log of what ur hardware is and usually if u change 3 or more hardware items then u will need to reinstall windows

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I decide to use the old hard drive from my old computer to be a master drive in my new computer since it already has windows and files in it. But when I hook it up and try to run the new computer. Windows XP pro always give me the "blus Screen of death" and I cannnot enter into windows itself. I don't want to format the hard drive because it has many important files on it. Is there any alternative in retreving my files? or am I doom?
You will have to format the machine and install it again. But you can also recover your files:
1. Put the HDD back in the old drive and save them
2. Using something like a Knoppix boot CD and save them after booting

windows saves a log of what ur hardware is and usually if u change 3 or more hardware items then u will need to reinstall windows
They do? Where is this log?

conundrumK

thank you all so much, I'm trying to to switch another hard drive for moster right now, and will try to save my files soon. tahnk you all so much

Geoff

VIP Member
no problem, the same problem happened to me also, when you switch parts they tend not to work correctly without a re-install.

conundrumK

Hi every one, there is a new situation for me :(

I switch the hard drive as suggested, and everything was going fine. I was formatting the new master drive (200Gb) when I thought, this is going to take a long time, so I went out and take a walk. When I come back, there was nothing on my monitor, and it was on standby, so I try moving the mouse around and pushing keyboard button, but nothing happen. So I decide to reboot my computer and there it was, this horrible, brain splitting beeps (sounds like a 1 second long beep follow by 2 really fast beeps) and there there was nothing. PLease help me, what is wrong? :(

also here is me spec, if it would help you help me better,
ECS 755-A V1.0 socket 754
AMD athlon 64 3700+ clawhammer
200Gb (set as master) (New)
120Gb (as salve) (old)
480watts power supply
1Gb RAM 400DDR 184 pins
jetway radeon9600XT 256Mb

thank you all so much,
Kao

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How did you do the formatting? Does the machine post? (i.e., can you get to BIOS or does anything show now?)