New Computer will not connect to Internet

EINREB

I just put a new computer together from new parts and use two separate HDs, one for Windows 7 and the other for XP. (I disconnect the Power for the one I do not want to use. I found this an easier way than a dual boot system)
The problem I have is that I can not find a way of connecting the XP OS system to the Internet through a cable, while I do not have any problems doing so with the Windows 7 OS system. The IE (Internet Explorer) in the XP OS insists that I have to use a modem, (I do not have one) and it claims it can not find the hardware to connect to a cable, but it is there, for the Windows 7's IE will do it without any problems! (Remember, I am using the same MB!)
Any ideas how to get the IE in XP to work with cable?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Did you install the ethernet driver for XP? XP doesn't automatically have an available driver for everything whereas Windows 7 automatically installs hardware drivers as its driver database is much larger and newer than XP's.

In case you don't know what a driver is, what motherboard do you have?

EINREB

Thanks fellows! I did not know I needed a driver for the network adapter in XP.
My MB is a MSI 880GM-P51 and I have an installation CD for it. I will try to use that and see what happens.
Just in case that does not do it, how do I activate the necessary drivers in XP?

Gary1

If someone already said, "You need a driver" Why would I also say you need a driver. Often times after installing the driver you will need to enable the network. XP and Vista both are more complicated than windows 7. I have seen it more than once either it was done by accident or it was by default. Yes I have never seen it disabled on windows 7.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If someone already said, "You need a driver" Why would I also say you need a driver. Often times after installing the driver you will need to enable the network. XP and Vista both are more complicated than windows 7. I have seen it more than once either it was done by accident or it was by default. Yes I have never seen it disabled on windows 7.

I've never seen a machine where you need to enable the hardware after installing the driver.

StrangleHold

Staff member
XP doesnt have as many generic drivers as Vista and 7. Most newer boards you will have to install the LAN driver.

EINREB

UPDATE - I got it to work. You were right fellows, I needed the driver for the network circuits. I loaded in the drivers on the MB installation CD and it worked right away.
Like I said, I did not know that I needed them with XP, had used the MB only with 7, and had no issues with that OS.
As a matter of fact, I have been using XP on my other computer for many years, re-loaded the OS in it many times before when I had difficulties, but never had any Network issues either. Always worked rightaway. You always learn something!
Thanks again fellows for the help. It solved the problem!