New Computer with New Problems.

Twist86

Didn't seem to fall under 1 area so here we go.

Got a free 2.8ghz computer few days ago and I have a few problems I need to fix.
System specs are
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/eMachines_T3882/4507-3118_16-31341179.html?tag=sub
I have upgraded to 1gb of ram and a 256mb Radeon 9250 PCI graphics card.

Problem I am having is this.

First it comes preloaded with XP home SP2...SP2 sucks....like most things window gives you. Is there a way to remove SP2 to go back to SP1? My last system had the ability to remove it from the add/remove but this one does not maybe since it came preloaded?

Next the old ingerated 64mb card I uninstalled from add/remove and changed the BIO from AGP to PCI....4mb to 16mb but now the old card keeps trying to reinstall itself everytime I boot up.....how do I get it to stop? I was reading the manual it dosen't show a jumper for the card so I am kinda :confused: on it.

Last but not least!
Also my last computer (ancient HP) locked me outta BIOs so this is the first computer I get to play with um in....is there any tweaks I can do to help boost the performance of my system?

Mr.Suave

First it comes preloaded with XP home SP2...SP2 sucks....like most things window gives you. Is there a way to remove SP2 to go back to SP1? My last system had the ability to remove it from the add/remove but this one does not maybe since it came preloaded?
wouldnt recommend doing that. SP2 is wat keeps you safe from viruses and such. and i heard that thiers a new virus or hack that hackers can get control of you comp through IE or windows media player but microsoft has fixed this with thier latest patch.
Also my last computer (ancient HP) locked me outta BIOs so this is the first computer I get to play with um in....is there any tweaks I can do to help boost the performance of my system?
if you kno all your setting change the things that says Auto to what you kno is thier defualt setting. or you can overclock but wouldnt recommend that till you get more comfortable with your new comp.

kobaj

VIP Member
Mr.Suave said:
wouldnt recommend doing that. SP2 is wat keeps you safe from viruses and such. and i heard that thiers a new virus or hack that hackers can get control of you comp through IE or windows media player but microsoft has fixed this with thier latest patch.

I would also like to know this, Im not too afraid. Just use firefox/winamp and have a good virus remover (norton). :p

Twist86

Mr.Suave said:

I am aware of the danger reason why I removed IE or WMP and blocked the ports they used.
I have very strict settings on my firewall. I also use a port sniffer to see if someone is playing with my ports. My last virus I had was 2 years ago. Thats while using SP1 so I feel like I will be safe.
I never been hacked or anything but still dosen't change my look on SP2....it gives me a ton of worthless processes with other junk/security risks and limits my amount of incoming and outgoing connections. (which is really bad for me)
So if ya happen to know how to remove it I would love for ya to tell me :) Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr.Suave

Twist86 said:
I am aware of the danger reason why I removed IE or WMP and blocked the ports they used.
I have very strict settings on my firewall. I also use a port sniffer to see if someone is playing with my ports. My last virus I had was 2 years ago. Thats while using SP1 so I feel like I will be safe.
I never been hacked or anything but still dosen't change my look on SP2....it gives me a ton of worthless processes with other junk/security risks and limits my amount of incoming and outgoing connections. (which is really bad for me)
So if ya happen to know how to remove it I would love for ya to tell me :) Thanks!
oic thats kool

do you have your old windows xp cd that came with your old computer.
if you do just reinstall windows with that so you'd be baclk with XP SP1 :)
if you dont, you can try ebay b/c i dont think you can go back to SP1 since its a new comp it never had SP1 to begin with so ya.

Twist86

Well ok then that fixes one of my problems for sure....my buddy has XP Pro with all the fixes/security fixed perhaps he will upload it for me. Thanks Mr.Suave

Twist86

Xycron said:
1.SP2 will make windows run smoother and faster, and you can turn off the extra processes.

Well I can try it out but I need to turn off the "cap" on inbound and outbound connections.
All my games update thru a p2p based system and I don't wanna wait 9 hours to download a patch because SP2 is blocking all the connections. I found a fix that allowed 50...but I use to have more with SP1 before I changed systems is there a higher patch that will allow me more....or a way to turn it off?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe i hate SP2 too, i dunno if it possible to strip it down post-patch. I just install SP1 (or if you getting it now, SP1a since SP1 is gone)

I would also like to know this, Im not too afraid. Just use firefox/winamp and have a good virus remover (norton).
Antivirus wont protect you from system exploits

Ya SP2 is freaking retarded. Ive been forced to switch to SP2 since Premier Pro 2.0 and After Effects 7 require it but i ghost back and forth between SP1 and SP2. If the system was installed as SP1 and then manually patched to SP2 you might be able to, if it was slipstreamed as SP2 (which it prolly is) then you wont be able to

1.SP2 will make windows run smoother and faster, and you can turn off the extra processes.
How do i remove information bar? or remove the "do you want to run this program" ...not turn off ... remove.

All my games update thru a p2p based system and I don't wanna wait 9 hours to download a patch because SP2 is blocking all the connections. I found a fix that allowed 50...but I use to have more with SP1 before I changed systems is there a higher patch that will allow me more....or a way to turn it off?
Turn off the firewall and use your own firewall to manage the connections, IP:port by IP:port(i reccomend whitelisting Kerio)

lhuser

This computer does not have an AGP slot. Meaning, you CANNOT uninstall the intergrated drivers. Although, if you have a PCI card....isn't there a Disabeled option somewhere?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Although, if you have a PCI card....isn't there a Disabeled option somewhere?
The default BIOS option is as soon as u install another video device, the onboard kills itself so you dont have to (or shouldnt at least)