New Computer

redcat

Looking at buying a computer from $300-$400, but my dad wants to get a Dell. From what i have learned about Dells it seems they are not worth the $.
Is there a specific computer brand, computer, and website you recommend ordering from?
Thanks

bengal85

as far as desktops go I have always used Dell and never had a problem and they are great computers they are reliable and work well they usually come with enough RAM to run everything nicely

So I would say go with a dell

redcat

but ive heard i could spend much less $ for a better computer from another company. also, only looking for tower but it wouldn't hurt to have a monitor

bengal85

like I said I have never had problems with Dell but shop around you may be able to find something.

if I was you I would look either to Dell or another one that I would use if not dell would be HP

redcat

anymore input?
also, kind've confused about anti static thing
if i were building on wooden table and standing on wood floor would i need one of the anti static wrist bracelets?
any other way?

swisscheese57

HP, Gateway, and Acer are all decent companies with cheaper, yet still good, computers. I would try and stay away from eMachines though...

konsole

with limited knowledge of computers and no desire to build one, Dell is the way to go. When you dont know much about computers, having a computer with components that are well designed for each other and having a good warranty make Dell a good option.

Last edited:

Backwoods166

anymore input?
if i were building on wooden table and standing on wood floor would i need one of the anti static wrist bracelets?
any other way?

anti static wrist straps are useless imho. Don't build it standing on a carpet, other than that don't worry. And if you used all the parts that came with the dell you could probably build it for cheaper than the dell price. That budget is a little tough though. If I were in your position I would buy a used computer, but there is risk in that. I feel comfortable fixing it if it has problems, you may not.

DarkTears

banned
anti static wrist straps are useless imho. Don't build it standing on a carpet, other than that don't worry. And if you used all the parts that came with the dell you could probably build it for cheaper than the dell price. That budget is a little tough though. If I were in your position I would buy a used computer, but there is risk in that. I feel comfortable fixing it if it has problems, you may not.

I was built mine in my room on my bed, so I made sure to use a wrist strap. If i didnt, that would have been asking for it. Im a little paranoid anyway so maybe its just me lol.

Aastii

VIP Member
anymore input?
any other way?

You don't need any kind of anti-static anything. Just put your case on the floor, every time you move or shuffle or before you put a new component in your hands, touch an unpainted part of the case to earth yourself and remove charge.

Also, as far as building goes, you could build it but in all honesty i would really say that buying a pre-built system will, in the short term, be the better option, however because of warrenties and what not if you build your own for the same price you can upgrade later instead of building a full system again and all parts have their own warrenty regardless of what you do to em, so long as you don't take em apart, and stuff like RAM has lifetime warrenty, PSU have 5 year, processors and graphics cards have 2-4 year generally, so it is good for money back/replacement guarentee for the time it would take to upgrade or it would mean you could tell when to upgrade, either way, it is better for upgrading in the future if you build yourself.

redcat

also, dont want to make new thread, but could a SATA HDD be installed in a Dell Dimension 2400, ive found answers that say yes and others say no so i want to be sure