new computer

Medsport

Hi guys, new here. I'm just your average computer user and use it mainly for spreadsheets, surfing the web and streaming some movies. My present computer is a Dell Inspiron and is about 10 years old and needs replaced badly. I've been thinking of upgrading for about a year and decided its time to take the plunge. I would like to get the most bang-for-the-buck for around ~500 or so with something that will last a good 5-10 years. I was thinking at least 8GB RAM with 1TG hard drive.

I don't like the current Dell offerings and was going to go with an i3-3240 HP from the local office max for around $450, but after some searching it sounds like those aren't that fast although I do like the fact its local and comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse. A guy on my car forum suggested I go to Newegg and get something a little better for the price and I found a Levono i5 DDR3 2TG for $460, but it only comes with a 280 SPU which another guy said was too low if you intend on ever doing some serious gaming. I'm not into gaming right now, but who knows, I may want to do some in the future. I also found a i5 Gateway (1TG) for a little less on sale right now (420) and it has a 300 watt SPU, but I don't really like the looks of the case. I also found an Avatar gaming system AMD FX series also with the i5 with a 500 SPU and I like the looks of it too, but its a little more than I wanted to spend (510) and it sounds like it would need an upgraded GPU if you wanted to do some serious gaming.

So now I'm confused and not sure what to get. The Avatar looks like the best, but may be a little overkill for my needs and also a little pricey for my current budget. The Gateway would probably be the smartest choice since I guess it really doesn't matter what it looks like, its whats inside that counts. But I'm thinking I should compromise and get the Levono as I like that one the best and it has the most disk space, just worried that the power supply will be enough. btw, I'll also probably need to get a new monitor soon since I have the older 17" Dell. Any advice which one I should go with or do you guys have another suggestion?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan on upgrading graphics later on then you will also need to upgrade the power supply as the OEM 300 watt units will not push a good dedicated card. I would seriously think about building your own. Better quality parts and easily upgradeable later on.

SpringWater

My advice:

Build your own pc, here's my suggestion:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1uJui

Later on you can add an aditional card for hybrid crossfire/add a dedicated card. The apu I picked has the power of about an i3 so it's decent even if you are not going to use it for it's integrated graphics once you decide to get a dedicated video card.

Last edited:

Medsport

That looks pretty decent Spring, although I never tried to build my own. How hard is it to put everything together? I may have to mess around with that site. I think I would want a more plain case, but similar to that one and maybe win7 instead of 8. I've heard a lot of people don't like 8, but its supposed to be faster and use less energy I think?

daisymtc

How much of gaming would you talk about?
You can consider AMD APU, which allow you to do slight gaming.
If you are thinking of upgrading in future, it is worth to consider going for company like ibuypower/ cyberpowerpc such that know exactly want you get.

Medsport

In all honesty I probably won't do any gaming as I haven't in 10+ years, but I sometimes think how fun it use to be playing death match with Duke Nukem. So I want to get something decent that won't need upgrading in the next few years (or will be fairly easy to upgrade). I keep thinking the Levono looks like the best for my needs except that it only has the 280psu and I'm not sure if it can be upgraded if needed? It sounds like the Gateway can be fairly easily and it has the 300psu so it should be ok for awhile the way it is. I also have no idea about the graphics card, although I know I'll most likely never want one of the really expensive ones. I did find a couple AMD's FX-series at the top of my budget, but I've heard that AMD sometimes runs hot and is not quite as fast as Intel?

SpringWater

AMD running hotter than intel is a myth, there is so many different things that affect the amount of heat that the pc gives off that it is almost impossible to say that one brand runs hotter. I would build your own pc if I where you because first off, it's fun, and second of all you are going to get way higher quality components this way, hence you'll be able to do upgrades more easily. Building a pc is kind of like building something out of legos, you just have to follow instructions of a good youtube video that tells you how to do it. There is no welding, hardcore cutting components involved like most people tend to think. In terms of performance of the pc I put together for you it will play the games you mentioned with no porblems, and if you add a 6670 for hybrid crossfire it might even play games like battlefield 3 on medium settings.

irongeek2012

If your just an "average computer user" like you said, then don't even bother wasting your time and money attempting to build one. Yes, they are easy to construct and build however, you got to know what does what, and how it all goes together. You can buy a good PC or laptop for what you would spend on building your own. For what you described your doing with your PC basically everyday computing u don't need some big expensive custom built machine.

The people who are telling you to build your own, this and that, are the ones who are not "average computer users".
;)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your just an "average computer user" like you said, then don't even bother wasting your time and money attempting to build one. Yes, they are easy to construct and build however, you got to know what does what, and how it all goes together. You can buy a good PC or laptop for what you would spend on building your own. For what you described your doing with your PC basically everyday computing u don't need some big expensive custom built machine.

The people who are telling you to build your own, this and that, are the ones who are not "average computer users".
;)

You get better warranty and better parts when building your own and also he will end up spending more later on to upgrade if he buys one from the store.

irongeek2012

You get better warranty and better parts when building your own

You get better warranty when building your own? I don't think so. You are building your own system when you do this you run the RISK of VOIDING the warranty. You mess it up it you VOID the warranty. If you buy a PC from DELL, SONY, HP etc... It comes with one FREE year technical support both software and hardware you build your own nope.

In my college course a few years ago our final project was to assemble a PC from scratch and if you messed it up (for example, to much thermal paste on the CPU) you void the warranty simple as that.

and also he will end up spending more later on to upgrade if he buys one from the store.

Upgrade? The guy has been using the same system for ten years he stated. He's just looking for a deal on a computer -

I would like to get the most bang-for-the-buck for around ~500 or so with something that will last a good 5-10 years.

building a custom PC will not give him the most bang for his buck. It will cost him $$$ just to get it up and running.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you are telling me that a one year warranty is better then a 3 year warranty on motherboard, cpu, hard drive, power supply, video card? Lifetime warranty of memory.

Where are you getting your information from anyway?

And if he plans on getting into any type of gaming, he's better off building his own so he knows he has good ventilation and good parts.

StrangleHold

Staff member
use it mainly for spreadsheets, surfing the web and streaming some movies.

Like has been said, build your own. Good experience and you will have more respect for it. Plus when your done you will have a lot more knowledge of how a computer works and will be able to repair it yourself. Just come here and someone will help you in all the steps. With what you said your going to be doing, a AMD APU system would do you fine.

Last edited:

Medsport

Now I'm more confused what way to go. On one hand I most likely won't need the slightly better components of a self-build, but it would be nice to get some experience of putting one together. I can't even decide between AMD and Intel now. I'm thinking it might be better to get a decent machine in the low 400's that way I could get a bigger monitor now too. If I was to go with a Lenovo, Gateway or even HP or Dell, which one is the easiest to upgrade in the future or doesn't it really make much difference? There are some decent looking computers on the AMD site, but does anyone know what size power supply their computers produce? I'm guessing they are the standard 280 watts?

Twiki

Most ready to go PCs have PSUs that are running to their limits and get hot. Building your own means you can choose quality components and still save money. Also go Intel like an i3.

You do have to take care in building but there's lots of how to videos on Youtube. Also you have us. :)

At the end of last year I built this system for $200:

Intel Celeron G540 CPU 2.5 Ghz
Asrock H61M-DGS motherboard
2x2GB Gskill DDR3 memory
Corsair CX430 Builder's Series PSU
Rosewill FBM-02 dual fan cooled MicroATX mini tower

I used my 500 gig WD Green HDD, DVD-RW and Vista 32 OS from my old AMD system.

While I was using my Celeron system I was buying good parts month by month taking advantage of sales and rebates from Newegg ($600). It's in my sig below.

SpringWater

Most ready to go PCs have PSUs that are running to their limits and get hot. Building your own means you can choose quality components and still save money. Also go Intel like an i3.

You do have to take care in building but there's lots of how to videos on Youtube. Also you have us. :)

At the end of last year I built this system for $200:

Intel Celeron G540 CPU 2.5 Ghz
Asrock H61M-DGS motherboard
2x2GB Gskill DDR3 memory
Corsair CX430 Builder's Series PSU
Rosewill FBM-02 dual fan cooled MicroATX mini tower

I used my 500 gig WD Green HDD, DVD-RW and Vista 32 OS from my old AMD system.

While I was using my Celeron system I was buying good parts month by month taking advantage of sales and rebates from Newegg ($600). It's in my sig below.

This system is way weaker than the system I picked you, I wouldn't waste money just to have intel.

Twiki

This system is way weaker than the system I picked you, I wouldn't waste money just to have intel.

You'd be surprised how well the Celeron run. When I built my i3 system I decided to keep the Celeron box instead of selling it.

irongeek2012

Now I'm more confused what way to go. On one hand I most likely won't need the slightly better components of a self-build, but it would be nice to get some experience of putting one together. I can't even decide between AMD and Intel now. I'm thinking it might be better to get a decent machine in the low 400's that way I could get a bigger monitor now too. If I was to go with a Lenovo, Gateway or even HP or Dell, which one is the easiest to upgrade in the future or doesn't it really make much difference? There are some decent looking computers on the AMD site, but does anyone know what size power supply their computers produce? I'm guessing they are the standard 280 watts?

Sorry for late response been working 12 hours days,..If money is no object then of course build your own... It gives you the option to pick each component specific to your needs. I love building my own computer systems lots of fun. ;) I cant speak for everyone but my personal experience building a custom computer costs more money than going through a manufacture like DELL, HP, SONY, ETC...

A lot of the manufactures like you listed above gives you the option to upgrade certain components. (its limited) but yes you can upgrade. When you go through a manufacture you don't have to purchase your own software it comes with a OEM version. When you build a custom PC you have to buy your software unless your running a distro of Linux/Unix (fireIP, FreeBSD, Fedora, Ubuntu etc...

as other members stated here any of us would help you with building this machine literally from the ground up.. ;) Let us know what you do... Later

jamesd1981

Factory machines are terrible, they are always under specced and overpriced.

They use cheap low end rubbish brand parts and as far as the warranty rubbish goes, factory manufacturers usually give you only 1 year and even the odd one that gives you 3 years it is a con because if you have hardware failure, they do not replace using brand new components they use 2nd hand or refurbished components.

Most components comes with 3 year or lifetime warranty which you only get the benefit of if you build your own.

Jiniix

I vote for building your own PC as well.
It's a great quality to have, being able to build and service a PC - often comes in handy.
Also, which has probably been said a couple of times, you can choose all the components in your PC, which will ensure great quality and stability.
It's also pretty damn easy. Most people are scared, because of the electric components and not wanting to mess things up, but most of the plugs only connect into the specific thing they are designed for - and there's a ton of guides out there.

How to build a computer @YouTube
I like this guy, he has a lot of common sense and awkward humor.

Only drawback I see from building your own PC with a low budget, is the fact that the pre-built ones often have free Windows included and pre-installed.
But once you get past that, everything about building it yourself is better.