new computer

SpringWater

You'd be surprised how well the Celeron run. When I built my i3 system I decided to keep the Celeron box instead of selling it.

It might be a decent cpu, but the video card built into it is just horrible, and the pc will require a video card upgrade in a matter of months. Another thing is that he said he wanted 8gb of ram, and you only gave him 4.

Twiki

I agree on the video on chip but it is only an example. I'm not trying to sell it. Anyway for his usage it'll do.

Medsport

Ok, I've been doing some searching and I think I can find comparable components for a build maybe ~50 or so less than Springs example (but may have to go a few different places). But I'm still not sure if I know enough about all the components yet. For example, I assume that the Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 already has a video card in it that is usable for now, but would have to get a dedicated card later on if I wanted to do some gaming correct? I also found a variance in prices for windows 8 anywhere from $80-130 so I'm not really sure if there is a difference in them or not. I'm also not sure if I should get 8 or stick with windows 7? The build videos they have on Newegg are good too and I like the case he's using in which you can just click the components in, but I'm guessing that's a fairly expensive case.

SpringWater

Ok, I've been doing some searching and I think I can find comparable components for a build maybe ~50 or so less than Springs example (but may have to go a few different places). But I'm still not sure if I know enough about all the components yet. For example, I assume that the Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 already has a video card in it that is usable for now, but would have to get a dedicated card later on if I wanted to do some gaming correct? I also found a variance in prices for windows 8 anywhere from $80-130 so I'm not really sure if there is a difference in them or not. I'm also not sure if I should get 8 or stick with windows 7? The build videos they have on Newegg are good too and I like the case he's using in which you can just click the components in, but I'm guessing that's a fairly expensive case.

You got some things mixed up, the integrated video card is not in the motherboard but in the cpu or in this case apu (apu is just AMD's way of calling a cpu with an integrated video card in it). You won't have to get a new video card anytime soon if you don't do hardcore gaming, because the one in the apu I picked you is a pretty decent low end card. Definitely get windows 8, because as amazing as windows 7 is it is not the newest operating system and it will become outdated quicker than windows 8. When you build a new pc you always want to make sure that you're getting the newest operating system out on the market. Windows 8 has different prices because there is many different versions of it. I would recommend windows 8 professional 64bit, but if you don't want to spend that much money you can get regular windows 8 64bit which costs less, but also has less features.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely get windows 8, because as amazing as windows 7 is it is not the newest operating system and it will become outdated quicker than windows 8. When you build a new pc you always want to make sure that you're getting the newest operating system out on the market. Windows 8 has different prices because there is many different versions of it. I would recommend windows 8 professional 64bit, but if you don't want to spend that much money you can get regular windows 8 64bit which costs less, but also has less features.

Just because Windows 8 is the latest operating system, doesn't mean its the best. There are a lot of users that don't like the windows 8 interface and like the simplicity of the windows 7 interface. I for one, do not like windows 8 and will not get it.

I would highly suggest the OP go to a store and play around with some of the windows 8 computers and see if he likes it.

Jiniix

Just because Windows 8 is the latest operating system, doesn't mean its the best. There are a lot of users that don't like the windows 8 interface and like the simplicity of the windows 7 interface. I for one, do not like windows 8 and will not get it.

I would highly suggest the OP go to a store and play around with some of the windows 8 computers and see if he likes it.

I agree 100% with this.
When Vista just came out, I bought a new PC, and I would've liked to stay with XP if I had the knowledge how to downgrade back then ^^
I still prefer Windows 7, and I need to see many core changes in Windows 8 before I upgrade.

Medsport

That's a good idea to play around with the various computers to see if you like them. I actually did go to office max and played around with their win8 for a few minutes and it seemed "ok". Only problem is they didn't have any win7 to compare and I would like more time to mess around (my computer is XP). Anyone know of any good places to go to try some different computers out? I'm guessing maybe best buy or staples, but those are in the city about an hour away. I'm still going back-and-forth bet. building my own or getting a brand name and still can't decide on AMD or Intel. Btw, the power supply was starting to be my major concern with getting a prebuilt computer, but after more research it seems all I really "need" is around 262 watts for the type of computer I'm most likely going to get and I believe you can update most brands if needed although I hear some can be difficult?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt you will find any stores with windows 7 pc's. You may have to ask around where you live to see who has windows 7 and see if you can test drive it for a little bit.

Medsport

Ok, I think I found a decent looking HP computer (A8-6500, 3.5GHz 1TG, 8GB with AMD Radeon HD 8570D graphics on sale for $450. It has a 6-in-1 digital media reader and high definition audio supporting up to 7.1. Would a built system similar to what SpringWater suggested even contain these? The HP also has integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless LAN and not sure if I need those or not? I had almost convinced myself that a system built myself would be better. It should also last longer, have better warranty and easier to upgrade. But I may be missing out on some of the "extras" mentioned above and also some of the installed software. Of course some of you may call it bloatware too. I've been doing a lot of research, but still have a lot to learn about how all the components work. I could build a system around a A8-6600k for around $500, but would still need a keyboard and mouse, speakers, ect. if not anything else listed above or would that stuff be in the motherboard and DVD player?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you buy a prebuilt machine, it comes with all the bloatware from the manufacturer. You can buy a card reader pretty cheap nowadays. A custom built machine will have a better warranty and better chance of upgrading for years to come. All motherboards have high definition audio now.

Medsport

What do you guys think of Ibuypower systems? The pre-built systems can be had for around $500, but have mixed reviews and standard spu not the best.

So I stumbled on their site and found a BTS AMD APU on sale in which you can configure your components. So far I picked the Apex EL 660 case, A8-5600k ($30 upgrade over A6-6400k), AMD CPU liquid cooling 120mm fan, Corsair Vengence 8GB, ASRock FM2A75 Pro4, CX430 V2, 2TG 7200rpm (free upgrade over 1TG), LG 24X (can upgrade to LG 12X blu-ray for free), stock 3D surround sound, onboard LAN, Win 8 64 bit + office 2010 free trial, ibuypower gaming keyboard and mouse, free SimCity game and engraving on case, 3 year warranty. For a grand total of $600. A little more than I wanted to spend, but pretty much everything I think I need for a decent and dependable system for the next several years. Anything else I'm missing or may need or not need? Not sure if I need the liquid cooling, could downgrade for -$10. You can add case lighting pretty cheap and the touch screen fan control and temp display looks cool, but probably not worth $50. Also not sure if I would need the blu-ray or 12-in-1 media player for $10? Other than that I would still need a monitor and possibly speakers unless my dells would work, but those are pretty cheap. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

raymar

check out newegg.com refurbished computers starting around $120 with windows 7. I used to use geeks.com but I think they are defunct

raymar

check newegg.com refurbished computers, good as new starting at around $120 or so. Great customer service. I use them all the time

Medsport

I just checked out cyberpc site for the heck of it and built a system similar to ibuypower for around $625, but with $50 off visa gift card today only. It has a FX-4300 with crossfire gigabyte GA-970-DS3P, NVIDIA GeForce video card (I think this is a little better than above, but not sure as I haven't been researching this brand), 8GB, 430 watt, I like the In-Win G7 case and the keyboard looks better than the other one, also has free Wi-Fi blutooth upgrade. Some of the options are confusing though as I'm not sure if I would need the flash media reader or not and for USB port it says none, but I'm guessing that's for external and the 2.0 and 3.0 ports will work fine? Now I'm even more confused. I'll have to check out some of the refurbished computers too.

edit: after pricing these, I figured out they were a little too expensive and get you on shipping. So I'm back to checking out different combo deals at newegg. I just can't seem to decide on the case I want. I have it narrowed down to fractal, in-win, corsair, rosewill, or maybe cougar. I think I know what psu, ram and hard drive I want and the CPU isn't too difficult, but choosing a mobo is a little more difficult with my present knowledge of them as they all have different specs and plus and minuses.

Last edited: