new computer

Doubloon

I am going to get a new computer for gaming and video editing and I hope to dual boot windows and linux. I can spend around 1000$.

I have been looking around and I found a dell
here that I can upgrade to 1 GB of RAM I just want to know if this is a computer I should get or do you have a better idea.

I want my computer to last a while so I want to be able to upgrade later how concerned should I be about the transition from 32 to 64 bit.

Techdavid

It is proved that dell is not as good as dell says. The service is bad and for that money you can get a much better pc. Maybe you can built it yourself if you know how to do that. Maybe you can look on the internet or magazines for the best(cheap) parts. Do you have family. Ask them for help.

Doubloon

The problem is that I have no Idea which parts to get. I could have a custom computer built at monarchcomuter.com but I have no idea which parts to get.
Is there anything I should avoid.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Techdavid said:
It is proved that dell is not as good as dell says. The service is bad and for that money you can get a much better pc. Maybe you can built it yourself if you know how to do that. Maybe you can look on the internet or magazines for the best(cheap) parts. Do you have family. Ask them for help.

…more rhetoric

I have bought 6 dell computers (and 3 HP's) over the years and have had only a few minor problems. Each call to technical service took about an hour to two hours and the problem was solved.

I do agree that you can find a computer for less money. Now I can build my own. But if you do not have the necessary knowledge of how to build one or do not have the time, stick with an proven company: Dell or HP.

EMO-TOCROSS

Doubloon said:
The problem is that I have no Idea which parts to get. I could have a custom computer built at monarchcomuter.com but I have no idea which parts to get.
Is there anything I should avoid.

yeah, dont have that site build you a computer, their only doing the same thing as dell. If anything, I'd rather buy a dell then from them. And if you have the time, you really should consider building a desktop. It's not as complicating as your thinking it is right this moment. I even have a pretty nice desktop I built for sale for only 400$ and its pretty darn good :cool: . (check signiture).

Doubloon

How much cheaper could I build one. If it is not a big diffrence Ill probably go with the dell. Unless I shoould worry about the longevity of the computer. How far away is the switch to 64 bit processors.

Doubloon said:
I am going to get a new computer for gaming and video editing and I hope to dual boot windows and linux. I can spend around 1000$.

I have been looking around and I found a dell
here that I can upgrade to 1 GB of RAM I just want to know if this is a computer I should get or do you have a better idea.

I want my computer to last a while so I want to be able to upgrade later how concerned should I be about the transition from 32 to 64 bit.

For gaming Alienware computers are top noch. For video editing go with apple.

Picklee

WOW apple... lol stick with the dell lmao. I would also recommend building your own. I built mine (check sig) for $500. But like SFR said, you have to have the knowledge.