New Cpu AMD Opteron 6 CORES!!!

Fatback

VIP Member
Isn't that a server CPU nice to see AMD trying to move ahead of Intel but it's going to take more then that

Last edited:

bomberboysk

It's a a sockt F. Can't you just break out the file - a few wires and a needlenose plyers to make some modifications for AM3

:D
Except the fact one is LGA with the pins in the socket, and AM3 is PGA where the pins are on the processor:p

Damascus

If the offered them in the AM3 line, no one would dish out the $500+ for the Opty's ;)
Intel will probably be king of clock speeds for a while still - but AMD will always be king of gaming processors ;)

El DJ

If the offered them in the AM3 line, no one would dish out the $500+ for the Opty's ;)
Intel will probably be king of clock speeds for a while still - but AMD will always be king of gaming processors ;)

For a hexacore, I would.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Isn't that a server CPU nice to see AMD trying to move ahead of Intel but it's going to take more then that

Yes, but you can use Xeons in a desktop if you wanted to. It would be extreme overkill for any user for the most part because most applications would not take advantage. Plus those types of processors are built for large amounts of multi tasking and running many services/processes at once. Where as consumer processors are built more for multi media applications, and have built in extension instruction sets for those types of applications.

So, really, unless you are doing very processor intensive stuff you will gain no benefit from such processors from actual real use on your system.

El DJ

Yes, but you can use Xeons in a desktop if you wanted to. It would be extreme overkill for any user for the most part because most applications would not take advantage. Plus those types of processors are built for large amounts of multi tasking and running many services/processes at once. Where as consumer processors are built more for multi media applications, and have built in extension instruction sets for those types of applications.

So, really, unless you are doing very processor intensive stuff you will gain no benefit from such processors from actual real use on your system.

Folding, Rendering, etc.
Though I agree, it would be serious overkill.

ScottALot

DUDE! They didn't even preview this to the public or anything! This came out of nowhere BEFORE Intel released their i9, NO WAY!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Folding, Rendering, etc.
Though I agree, it would be serious overkill.

I said your average user, or gamer will receive little benefit from such things. Even rendering or editing audio/video would take some serious work to take advantage of it.

While, it is cool and all, it is kind of pointless unless you are doing some serious work.

El DJ

I said your average user, or gamer will receive little benefit from such things. Even rendering or editing audio/video would take some serious work to take advantage of it.

While, it is cool and all, it is kind of pointless unless you are doing some serious work.

But once games start to be written for more than 4 cores ( I know, there's only a handful of them that can utilize four cores now) then these processors could seriously come in handy. Just think if GTA IV or Crysis could run on 6 cores.
Or, what if -I forgot what company was aiming at this- succeeds in getting the CPU to take some of the load off of the GPU, and thus allowing even higher framerates than ever (While cutting down on heat, I believe.)

tlarkin

VIP Member
But once games start to be written for more than 4 cores ( I know, there's only a handful of them that can utilize four cores now) then these processors could seriously come in handy. Just think if GTA IV or Crysis could run on 6 cores.
Or, what if -I forgot what company was aiming at this- succeeds in getting the CPU to take some of the load off of the GPU, and thus allowing even higher framerates than ever (While cutting down on heat, I believe.)

I doubt that will happen as more and more the video cards are becoming more advanced than the actual CPU in the system. Nvidia already has an API that allows apps to dump instruction requests to the GPU.

Now add in the fact that multi core GPUs will come out in the future, I foresee the video game industry going more towards that route, as well as 3D rendering, drafting, photoshop, and other graphics intensive applications.