New cpu fan advice!

vashonlax

So i have my AMD Phenom II x6 1090t, and lets be honest, the stock fan does not do justice in order to keep it at a moderate to cool temperature.
So Ive been looking at an upgrade for my CPU fan and narrowed my decision to these two. Which one is better bang for my buck?

Cooler Master V8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

or

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

*Or is there anyother that are better, but arent more than like $60?

-thanks

cloudcroft

Let's be honest? Okay, but just for the record here (let readers think stock CPU coolers are all crap -- an erroneous premise to begin with) I have to disagree with you: The stock fans that come with CPUs (Intel or AMD) do very well and I've never had any heating issues with them. For present example, the stock heatsink/fan that came with my AMD Phenom II X2 3.2GHz CPU has temps in the low 30s when at idle (or downloading 24/7 as it's doing now and the temp is 33). I don't overclock ANYthing (CPU, video or memory) and never will, so a CPU's stock cooler is fine for me. I've been impressed with ALL of them I've had so far be they Intel or AMD.

Problems occur when you overclock a CPU, but that's not the fault of the stock cooler (heatsink & fan) as it wasn't designed for that. Besides, Intel and AMD wouldn't even risk putting crap coolers on their products (let alone actually DO it), so if THEY don't know what will keep their stock CPUs cool, no one does. And I sure wouldn't be any "expert" to second-guess them!

So yeah, if you're going to overclock (you don't say), you WILL need something that will handle the extra heat.

If you do NOT overclock, spend the extra $$ for a new and "better" cooler anyway if you want -- after all, it's your money -- but (and just for the record) stock coolers keep stock CPUs cool just fine.

Good luck...

Last edited:

salvage-this

Sometimes you just get a bad stock cooler. Also the stock cooler will not be as effective on a hex core as it is with a dual core. If the OP wants to upgrade that is fine.

I would get the Hyper 212. it is a bit cheaper and still will give great temps. You can add another fan for a push pull. You didn't mention that you wanted to overclock but it will do just fine for a moderate OC as well.

PohTayToez

Well, the Hyper 212 is undoubtedly the best deal for the money, but the V8 is significantly better. If you just want to keep your temps down and maybe OC a little, I'd say go with the 212+. If you're looking to see how far you can push your PC, go with the V8.

I see a lot of people saying that the 212 is almost as good (or even as good) as the V8, but I've been comparing temps of similar CPUs, and on average I'm seeing about a 10c drop between the two HSFs which is pretty significant, but really doesn't do much for you in the long run unless your OCing.

Bottom line: 212+ is a great cooler for the price. V8 is better, but probably not worth paying 3x the price unless you really need to extra cooling.